Your Clean-up methods?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by alpine692003, Dec 27, 2003.

1. alpine692003

alpine692003 LawnSite Bronze Member

What are you guy's most time saving and methological way to clean up your jobs?

1) mowing lawns - you will have grass clippings. How do you handle this? Do you blow all the clippings after you finished your mowing job into the pathway, pick it up, put and lay a tarp in the trunk of your truck and just haul away?

2) Hedges - do you guys lay a tarp under the hedges, then trim the hedges while the clippings fall onto the tarp. Then you guys collect the tarp (must be heavy afterwhile) and where do you dispose of it?

3) Leaf cleanups - do you just blow into a pile, rake it, and bag it?

I am just wondering what are some time saving tips! Care to share guys? :dizzy: :dizzy:

2. TotalCareSolutions

TotalCareSolutions LawnSite Senior Member

This is our methodology-

1) We blow our clippings somewhere inconspicuous. Like in the doghouse, in the flowerbeds, under the car, under our trailer. Occasionally, when we are in a pickle, i'll have one of the boys sit on the ground, pull his pants down about one foot and then lift his buttocks and well blow the clippings into his pants, which he then buttons up.

2) Hedges are a little more complex. We take the tarp (as you've mentioned, very good observation by the way), lay it over the hedges and trace them on the tarp with a large sharpie (you can use chalk, or environmentally correct paint spray). We then remove the tarp and simply use a pocket knife to cut out the hedge outline. Now the tarp lays perfectly over the hedges and settles to the ground, providing maximum ground cover. After you trim the hedges, simply pull up the tarp w/ the clippings, roll it into a ball and toss into the truck. (TIP:Buy the least expensive tarps you can find.)

3) Leaves are tricky! When a customer asks about their leaves, we sometimes act like there are no leaves really there. Try to make them feel foolish for making up stories, you'll have to carry yourself with a lot of confidence and develop your business skills to do this. Or, you can explain to them that leaves are good for the soil and nothing should be done at all, we all have a responsibility to educate our customers, THEY REALLY DONT KNOW. If you are going to tackle a leaf job, again, inconspicuous is the key. Parked cars, bushes, behind trash cans, in beds and under stairs are all excellent suggestions. Do a search you are sure to find more info...

Best of luck to ya!

3. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

LOL good one!!!:drinkup:

4. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

1 chop them with the mower
    2 if they are small enough, chop them with the mower
    3 chop them with the mower

then blow

5. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

When possible, I use my Walker to mow and collect leaves, but only after blowing out all beds. If it's a backyard where I can't fit my Walker through the gate, I try to blow most in a pile and rake onto a tarp and drag to the front where I can dump them into the street. Then I use my loader to suck them up and off I go.

grain truck complete.jpg

6. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

That rig looks really handy for getting in and out of driveways!

I have done nothing but mulch leaves regularly for the last 2 or 3 years. Does 90% of the job for 50% of the time/effort/expense. The key is not to let them get so plentiful that you have to collect them. Not always possible, but those lawns I can't mulch I wouldn't want anyway. Trees = heavy shade = poor grass growth.

7. Expert Lawns

Expert Lawns LawnSite Silver Member

mulch or bag. depends if i feel like mulching or bagging.

8. PR0 TURF

PR0 TURF LawnSite Bronze Member

For fall cleanups a big time saver for us is using one of our Walkers as a "leaf plow". We get a small pile going and then drive into it with the Walker and it keeps pushing them and collecting more and more leaves as we push the leaves out to the road where the vac would be. We just lower the deck in the front one or two notches to help get a good angle to push the leaves. Sure beats blowing huge piles out to the street...much quicker. There are very few piles that it can not push. We have tried doing the same with our walkbehinds, but had no luck...they would just drive over the piles instead of push them. We haev never tried the leaf plow attatchment from JRCO beacause of our luck with the Walkers, but would be interested to hear how that works.
    :blob4:

9. gramps

gramps LawnSite Member

Good ideas. Fast and clean method GASOLINE:blob2: :blob2:

10. brentsawyer

brentsawyer LawnSite Senior Member

I have done nothing but mulch leaves regularly for the last 2 or 3 years. Does 90% of the job for 50% of the time/effort/expense. The key is not to let them get so plentiful that you have to collect them. Not always possible, but those lawns I can't mulch I wouldn't want anyway. Trees = heavy shade = poor grass growth.

I have taken the opposite approach and make out much better since all the guys that have the approach above are not able to do these things. I or anyone can charge much higher rates and with a lawn vac mounted on the mower I can suck every leaf off a parking lot just as fast as if I were mowing a lawn. Again, I do like it that alot of guys don't or refuse to buy the necessary equipment for this type of thing since I get the 10% you don't want and charge way more than I would be making mulching leaves. BTW, I don't use a Billy Goat, those are a waste of time, just an extra large bagger for the Z.