Your definition of being a professional...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by haynestotallawns, May 1, 2004.

1. haynestotallawns

haynestotallawns LawnSite Member
    from SC

What makes YOU a professional in this business? Is it your lettered truck, your business cards, your uniforms? Is it your attitude, your handling of customers, or size of your business? I want to know what you think being a professional is, is it being in business full time or being in business more than 2 years or 10 years? What does being a professional mean to you?

My reason for asking is appearantly their aren't many professionals in my area. Either that or the customers I have been picking up lately had all hired losers before me. I've heard everything from, "the guys just stopped showing up" to "they never return my calls". To me being a professional is doing work that not only you are proud of but also your customer is proud of and returning calls in a prompt manner and living up to your expectations and responsiblities.

However I would like to thank the "professional" no-shows who have increased my customer base so greatly the past week. Thank you! As well as the few who jumped into a business they knew nothing about and got out before they got started good. Thanks again!

2. Mikes Lawn Landscape

Mikes Lawn Landscape LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

Your Welcome !!!!!!!!!!!!!!:p

3. Norm Al

Norm Al LawnSite Bronze Member

..........customers lie!

4. Mikes Lawn Landscape

from Texas

Yep they do.

Had a guy call last year says my lawn guy hasn't shown up for two weeks this was September. I get there and the grass is "THIGH HIGH". I think what he meant was "my lawn guy has never shown up"

I passed on that one.

5. Southern Lawns

Southern Lawns LawnSite Senior Member

I think being a pro is all you mentioned and more. This is an easy business to "start up" little overhead etc. A breading ground for "so called pro's" The cream will rise to the top and more often than not customers will find and stick with the cream.

6. haynestotallawns

haynestotallawns LawnSite Member
    from SC

I know how some customers (or potential customers can bash other companies) and that's not what I'm really concerned with I've done this long enough to know when a person is a pain and when a person is just frustrated because they feel like they are being ignored and I also know that things happen and situations come up that can't be avoided and that means some customers can't be taken care of, but isn't being a professional also giving those customers a call and letting them know your intentions as far as working for them goes? I mean if I tell someone I will be at their home on Fridays or whatever I am going to stick to that obligation unless weather or an unforseen act comes up and prevents me from being there, and if that is the case, I am calling and letting them know what is going on. Also, if I am dropping a customer for whatever reason, I am at least sending out a letter to let them know I won't be coming back. What I would like to know is what seperates your company from anothers? What do you think makes you a professional?

7. Mikes Lawn Landscape

from Texas

Well you asked !

1. I don't refer to clients as PITA (They are either a customer or not)
    2. I don't take teenagers to work with me
    3. I've never called the police on a customer
    4. I don't treat customers like I'm selling them a used car
    5. I don't take my dog to work with me
    6. I don't consider every customer as a potential non payer
    7. I don't damage a customers property and ask lawn site members who should pay for it
    8. I don't discriminate against customers
    9. I dont let customers run my business
    10. I don't ask stupid common sense questions on Lawn Site
    11. I handle my customers in a way that is best for my company and not let a bunch of strangers tell me how to deal with MY customers
    12. I schedule my work in a way that customers understand and they all know my policies on rain days and delays (So I don't have to call everyone if I'm running behind)
    13. I do what the customer wants unless it costs me money
    14. I spend a whole lot of money on equipment
    15. I say what I'm gonna do and do what I say
    16. I don't want all the customers just all the GOOD ones

What seperates me from other companies?
    NOTHING
    We are all in the same boat some just have a bigger boat with no leaks.