Your dream compost ingredients?

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by BostonBull, Aug 23, 2008.

1. BostonBull

BostonBull LawnSite Senior Member

What would be the absolute best ingredients, and at what ratio for a compost pile?

I have some land behind the shop I can use to make some compost, and I have all the machinery needed to turn and add to it available there too.

For free, I have access to Chips, Leaves, and fresh grass clippings. I know there is more, but I get lost with all the talk here. Manure? Sheetrock for lime? Veggies (if I can get them)? Fish? What else?

Please go easy on me!

If this is posted elsewhere on the site, please delete this thread.

2. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Use what you have -> 30:1 = starting C:N

3. JDUtah

JDUtah LawnSite Silver Member
    from UT

is 30:1 by weight? (I think that's obvious but just wanna make sure)

4. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

5. wallzwallz

wallzwallz LawnSite Senior Member

BostonBull, a good book to get you started is the Rodale Book of composting, $15-16, has diagrams of different pile types and lists of materials and percentages. You probably can find the same info on line somewhere.

6. JDUtah

JDUtah LawnSite Silver Member
    from UT

Thanks Kiril! ... 'twill be usefull at some point.

Might eventually build a public caclulator where you select what you have and it tells you how much of each to put in the pile.

7. BostonBull

Any good online sites of all the Carbon and Nitrogen sources?

8. treegal1

treegal1 LawnSite Gold Member

Boston are you really going to do this, that's great!!! here hope this helps,
    http://www.compostingcouncil.org/

also a good rule of thumb is 3 parts green waste to 1 part brown, its stupid but it works.......

9. BostonBull

I am really going to try this out! I have the space, it will be a project transporting it, but oh well.

I figure I will use grass clippings, leaves, small amount of wood chips, coffee grounds, and maybe some sheetrock.

How far does this cook down? Say if I wanted a 10 yard yield? Should I start with 20 yards of material? I know this is a small pile to some of you! And how long is it good for?

10. BostonBull

Heres a cool site, not sure if it is all accurate?