your employee says......

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Dec 4, 2004.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

you are having problems with a machine. it's smoking alot, and letting off nasty fumes. the guy using it complains to you that it's making him sick. the part is on order, but won't arrive for 2 days. do you tell the employee he must continue to operate the machine (you personally don't think it's that bad) or do you keep the machine in the shop till the part comes and you fix it?
  2. shepoutside

shepoutside LawnSite Bronze Member

Keep the machine out of service, and use your back-up machine. Not worth the hassle if your employee reports it to Worker's Comp. This is the reason we all have back-up machines, and beside's that, you could do more harm to the worn/broken machine also.
  3. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

I f he told me its making him sick, I would remove the machine from service. head the workers comp claim off at the pass...
  4. naturescaretaker

naturescaretaker LawnSite Senior Member

Take him off the machine and make him a ditch digger until the part comes in or he decides it really isn't the machine but his head. The other option would be as Donal Trump says, your fired!

Realistically, I would swap operators and put him on another machine assuming that I can see anything wrong. If I did it would be out of service.
  5. Branchland

Branchland LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with what everybody else has said. Don't want to make more problems. Use the back up or just put somebody else to mowing. Or buy another mower to use and then you'll have another back up.
  6. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

you're admitting that there is a problem by saying that the part is ordered, so there is obviously something wrong.

what part could it be.

the only things i can see that make a machine smoke would be valves or thier seals, or worn rings (blue smoke)

black smoke would be a fuel problem, clogged air filter, fualty choke, sticking float.

either way you should not be working with equipment that is in disrepair. It's not very professional.

so bobby, you don't make enough money to have a back up machine?????
  7. Mico Landscaping design

Mico Landscaping design LawnSite Member

got to go with everyone else.. use back up come on we know u got them so why not use them>? :cool2: payup
  8. richard coffman

richard coffman LawnSite Senior Member

I'd use my back up machine and just get your other one fixed. I wouldn't make this into a big deal. no sence in making mountains out of mole hills.

9. JCW-G

JCW-G LawnSite Member

Four words..SELF CONTAINED BREATHING APPARATUS. just like the kind fire deptments use.It may look odd but,then again bg is the boss.
  10. BobwithECLC

BobwithECLC LawnSite Member

If you dont have a back up which by reading what everyone else is say you probably do, but if you dont try talking to your equiptment dealer and see if they have a loaner you could use or rent.