Your equip & money

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by tthomass, Jan 17, 2007.

1. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

How do you price out equip on a job?

Say you've got a 700ft2 wall to build and you come out with your estimate at $29 per ft2. Lets see, thats $20,300.

In that price are you including rental of an excavator or operation of your own equip? Are you including excavation?

I need to learn to better price things.

2. cgland

cgland LawnSite Bronze Member

We break every job into smaller jobs and apply man hours to it. For example: 700 ft2 wall----Layout, excavation, subsoil prep and geotextile installation, install base aggregate, level base course, install additional courses ( per course)w/ backfill, drain tile installation, geogrid installation, install caps, final grade, cleanup.
    These are examples of the line items I use when installing a wall. I apply man hours to every task and then add them together. As far as machinery, each item may include a different piece so I figure on how many days I will need each piece and charge accordingly. Even if I own the machinery I still charge a rental fee for each item. This is how we recover our maintenance costs. Hope that helps.

Chris

3. tthomass

from N. VA

Yes it does. I am trying to price a wall but have no real experience at constructing a block wall. Masonry I'd be set to go.

I've taken this class and that class and so on and observed that it is not time to do one. Geogrid, #57, drainage all that........wall is 4' high.

4. cgland

cgland LawnSite Bronze Member

A 4' high wall will need grid for sure. How many pulls is determined by the toe slope, surcharge above the wall, type of application, etc.

Chris

5. tthomass

from N. VA

Here is the job I'm putting together. The bed edge is bascially the wall but go straight across the rear of the property for the majority. That bed edge is 3' higher than the leaves in the ditch. The wall will be just slightly further back.

w1.JPG

6. tthomass

from N. VA

And from up top. The deck is going bye bye as well as the timber steps.

w2.JPG

7. jreiff

jreiff LawnSite Senior Member
    from MN

Don't forget about site access, can you get the equipment you need back there. What about storage of materials, a place to put everything. Then were are you going to put the spoils that you excavate?

Just some other things to think about.

8. tthomass

from N. VA

1st the deck will come out.

2nd excavate for the wall and construct

3rd the patio

Access is easy as is storage. I've done paver walks, patios and drives but not walls. With buried + above the wall will be 5' and I figure 5' grid without doing any math yet. 5' x 105' we've already got 525ft2

9. jreiff

jreiff LawnSite Senior Member
    from MN

What about charging for laser & compactor??? How does everyone else do this?

I just kind of figure how much each piece of equipment will be used and charge that way...

10. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

ALL my equipment is factored into my overhead course. I added up almost every tool i own, figured out how long it should last, and added the cost into my overhead. I did kind of guestimate the cost of the small hand held tools.

Wheather i am laying pavers, or mulching a bed, i know my truck, skid steer, trailers, etc are collecting their money.

Matt