1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Your equipment homeplace

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by tthomass, Sep 4, 2007.

1. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

AKA 'yard'.

Just looking to compare among us. Do you:

Rent or Own?
    How much space?
    How much per month payment?
    If you own, do you lease a portion?
    What is your yard like?
    Got pics?

Me: I live/rent on a farm and park everything but my International there. The International I pay $150 to park at a storage lot. The problem is needing something in another truck or needing the other tuck all together and having to go back and forth. Say I have the dumpster on the truck and the truck is at the farm with the Bobcat, well now I have to drive 15min to switch bodies to the dump body so I can haul the Bobcat and drive 15min back.....all togehter say 40min...PITA.

I'm looking at a couple of places now. One is about $400 for 5,000SF....all I really need as I don't keep material on hand. I do plan to keep a few hundred SF of selected flagstone on hand + boulders but thats about it.

What I have in mind is, once a local commercial area is built, purchase an acre of commerical zoned property for about $100,000. Payments, interest etc I just doubled the cost to $200,000 in the end / 120 payments (10 yrs) and its $1,666 per month.

Being that an acre is much more then I really need I can rent out (2) 10,000SF fenced and gated lots for around $800 each per month, in turn covering my mortgage less taxes and maint etc.
  2. bigviclbi

bigviclbi LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj

My mom's house, grandma's house, brothers house........Can't wait to get a yard. I was supposed to close on a house with 1.4 acres and the lady keeled over a week before closing, no will, an utter mess. At the point where I need everything at one place though.
  3. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

I had a place to park. Was way out of my way, had no no indoor place to store supplies, then i got kicked out.

Now i have all my stuff out on jobs. My skid steer has not been at my house all season. We maintain it on the job site, wash it down when we do job clean ups etc.

I do need to find a place for next year though. I need to be able to store materials. I am wasting an enormous amount of time picking up pipe, fitting, fabric, motar mix, etc, edging etc. My proablem is i often need supplies from 1 vendor for 3 job sites. It cost $$ to have stop dropped to 3 jobs so i end up driving it to all 3 myself. I'd rather have it delivered to a yard and send it out with each crew in the mornings.

I would also like to have a office out of my house. Next year something has to give. I really want to get a part time secertary/office manager. Its going to cost me minimum of 1k a month to find something. I looked at purchasing and its going to be another couple of years. I am looking at 750k- mil to buy a building i want in the zip code i want.
  4. P.Services

P.Services LawnSite Fanatic

750-mil i think it will be a lot more then a couple of years, i didt think it took that much space to store a skidsteer and some supplies! my plan is to get two 48' long cargo boxes and place them 25' apart with a clearspan poly roof over the center.on top of one of the boxes will be another 20' that will be the office. it will be cheap and secure. then all i have to do is rent a small corner of a lot and my shop can be packed up and moved within a day.
  5. mrusk

We are growing fast buddy.
  6. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

A million dollars is a lot of money but bank loans through a business with a good background/credit/bank account is doable. Best if there is some sort of structure to call a house so its a 30yr loan.
  7. P.Services

P.Services LawnSite Fanatic

and by growing you mean? more work? more equ. purchases? i may be mistaken but i thought you own a pick-up and a skid i may have you confused with all the other skidsteer services.
  8. mrusk

And the payment is managable as long as you charge enough $$$. Some people never get anywhere in business because they are always thinking to small or think certain things are impossible.
  9. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

We rent a 40x60 pole building on 20 plus acres. We have plenty of space! We have a place for storing our left over pavers, a place to park, a place to store mulch, gravel, soil, sand, etc. And also we have a place to dump ALL our spoils, including concrete. We have electric, including two-phase, and we have cold water. For $475 / month.

My personal property is on a decent tract of acreage, and I have plans and a permit for a pole building on my own property.

We are a small company. And the trick to my success is I operate with as little overhead as possible.

One local hardscape contractor just finally went under. LOL He was paying 2 grand a month in rent for his facility! Thats fricken ridiculous!
  10. mrusk