Your estimate

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by AlleganyLawnCare, Mar 24, 2006.

1. AlleganyLawnCare

AlleganyLawnCare LawnSite Member

I was wondering what some of here would estimate this property at. How many man-hours also. I like to have others double-check me every now and then. Something like a QA check. Thanks!

.5 hr of picking up branches/twigs
    1 hr of blowing out leaves and picking them up
    trimming 40' of sidewalk
    hand trim 80' on the inside edge of a mulch bed
    running a lawnvac (24" width) on approx. 2000sf
    rolling the grass (approx. 2000sf)
    mulching 1055sf 1" deep
    gravel laying(med. river pebble rock) 650sf 1/2" deep
    garvel laying (small river pebble rock) 96sf 1/2" deep
    seeding (Scott's Pure premium heat & draught) 200sf
    delivery of gravel and mulch approx. $100

2. AlleganyLawnCare

to let you know, I figured roughly 13.5 man hours and approx. $915 (for materials and labor). Does this sound about right?

3. chriscraft

chriscraft LawnSite Senior Member

Bad idea to roll a lawn without aerating it 1st , youre pushing dirt into dirt , kind of like putting 2 gallons of milk in a 1 gallon container. you might want to consider this and let the customer know. Its also a good way to get another service form him, otherwise i would talk him out of the roll.

4. AlleganyLawnCare

thanks chriscraft. didn't think about that. I will mention it to him tomorrow. Do you feel my price is about right? Too high? too low?

5. All_Clear

All_Clear LawnSite Senior Member

Is this how most of you are doing it? I would have thought it was the other way around. I don't do either but seems @ss backwards to me. I do agree that both should be done from everything i've read... But if you aerate first then roll your still just smashing it back down taking the air out.... correct me if i'm wrong.

All_Clear

6. JLL25

JLL25 LawnSite Member

Double the mulch, you want mulch 2" deep. This is pretty standard around here, you get a good coverage with more of a guarantee of no barespots. My rule of thumb is you should be able to bury your middle knuckle on your middle finger. Good luck!

7. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree with all_clear. Aerrating first makes no sense, it should be done afterwards.

8. AlleganyLawnCare

on the mulch, the client only wants to dress up the current level of mulch. so he only wanted 1" put down.

9. JLL25

JLL25 LawnSite Member

O I C.......

10. chriscraft

chriscraft LawnSite Senior Member

um actually it does not make sense . yuo ahve to actually do both to see waht works. It makes no sense to to try to compact compaction, it serves no purpose. so pushing dirt into dirt to lvl it especially if it solid makes no sense, does no good and is a waste of time to you and money to the customer. and if yo uthink by rolling the lawn after you aerate it is going to fill up those (81 holes per sq yard) 3/4" by 4" deep holes, lol you are using a roller like the one i saw on mega machines on discovery channel last week. They cost like $1,000,000.00 and are used at mining complexes, they can crush a school bus. after you aerate then roll you will give any high places a place to settle into to, you will still have 81 big holes per sq yard you can stick youre finger in, trust me try it on your home, aeration holes stay open form 10 days to 10 weeks depending on soil conditions. so if you roll within a few days of aeration it is impossible IMPOSSIBLE to compact the soil, for it is uncopacting for the next 10 days to 2 weeks after you roll it. rethink your posts and you will see the light or better yet actually try doing it we have done over 500 and they always work .