Your experience needed.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Southern Lawns, Mar 18, 2002.

1. Southern Lawns

Southern Lawns LawnSite Senior Member

Hello all! My search was unclear to my question so here goes.
    It's time to increase rates, what have you found to be the best way to break the news? Did you call? Did you send a letter with their monthly statement explaining an increase in charges? Not sure what the older folks in the business has found to be the best way to approach this, with the least resistance. I was going to increase 4% and make it effective 1 April with a letter enclosed with the statement. Before I do that.........I want to hear from you!
    Thanks, Raymond
  2. Kent Lawns

Kent Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

I would notify the month before the increase.
  3. stslawncare

stslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member
    from DE

letter with invoice sounds, good, make sure its a month ahead of course
  4. marc

marc LawnSite Member

Send a letter ahead of time explaining why you need to increase prices. When I raise rates, I try to keep my senior citizens increase a little lower than other customers just because I know that they can't afford too much of a increase. Don't feel bad about increasing rates though-especially if you haven't increased them in a while.
  5. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I use a handwritten note personally from me on the monthly statement one month before. And yes I sign it, Rod.
  6. Bladewielder

Bladewielder LawnSite Member

We tell people face-to-face. We feel that is the most honest and fair way to do it. After all, the agreement is between you and them. I think in the end people will be happier that the two of you discussed it in person.