Your Experience With a 36 in. With a ProSlide

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by thesargent, May 25, 2007.

1. thesargent

thesargent LawnSite Senior Member

who runs a 36 inch mower with a pro slide sulky? does it seem to pull you good, or does it seem slow, because of the greater resistance? could you mow faster walking? would a wheeled sulky allow you to mow faster? im asking because i just got a proslide for my 36 in. hydro husky. it just seems kinda slow to me but maybe i dont realize how fast im actually going. it just seems i could walk faster. whats your experience?
  2. thesargent

but then again, maybe faster isnt the point. maybe less fatigue is the point, i dont know.
  3. thesargent

apperantly no one uses a pro slide with a 36 inch, maybe for good reason?
  4. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

Yes, I tried it! You can do a search under my name and use ProSlide as a keyword to learn of my experiences.

The bottom line, the machine is too small, too light, to make it a good combination. I have a 15hp Kohler, on an Exmark Viking hydro machine. Power isn't the issue, and traction isn't too bad either. However, control of the machine is the major issue. The slider simply controlled the machine's direction. I was unable to get straight passes, or keep a good index off a last pass.

The other part of the combination is lack of hand control of the mower. By that, I mean the operator has no leverage with the ground. Pushing side-to-side on the handles of the mower to maintain a "fine-tine" on direction is not possible. The slider is fixed to the machine as a single unit, so that any side-to-side forces are merely against the handle assembly and mower, not against the ground.

The idea is a good one, but just not on a 36" machine (at least in my experience). Most of my properties have slopes someplace, and the light front end of the mower made it difficult to keep front casters on the ground.

I bought BullRider two-wheeled sulky to replace the ProSlide. The BR can be used in either caster or trailer mode. I intended to use it in caster mode, but quickly learned the same problems demonstrated themselves as with the ProSlide. I changed the BR over to trailer mode, and found the combination to be very useful. It has traveled hundreds of miles and worked thousands of hours. No, I cannot use the true zero-turn capability without jumping off, but it does work well. The leverage with the handles enables me to keep the fine-tune of direction by hand, not by hydro control.

If you wish to see some pics of my machine and the BR, PM me with your e-mail address and I will send them via that route.
  5. ProMo

ProMo LawnSite Bronze Member

I used proslide when they first came never had an issue with speed. If I go back to walkbehinds I will use the slide