Your favorite truck tires?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by GarPA, Jan 5, 2005.

1. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

I was surprised to see only one archived thread on truck tires so here goes.
    My Dunlop tires on the 4x4 now need replaced and they were only 4 ply and barely got 25,000 miles out of them.

Would appreciate your sharing what tire you have had good results with. The factors that are important to me are:
    -long tread life
    -the truck is never used off road so I dont want the big tread on the tire edges
    -A strong tire since we pull a heavy enclosed trailer

Consumer reports recommends Goodyear Fortera, Kelly Safari, and Hankook Dynapro (never heard of this brand)

Thanks for any input you can provide

2. mmacsek

mmacsek LawnSite Senior Member

Gary,
    Take this reply for what it's worth. I have a Ford F 250 2wd. I've had real good results with Cooper. I run all seasons on the front and dedicated snow/mud tires on the rear year round. The Goodyears are Workhorses. These are pricey but work well. I got around 45000 miles from them. The Coopers got around 35 to 40K before replacing. Both are quiet running tires. My tire size is LT235/85R16 and 10 ply. I also have a Ford F450 stakebodt with the same size. With that being said I had to replace tires on the pickup(all 4) and the front on the 450 and only used Coopers on the front of the pickup. I went to a private brand for the rest. The private brand are imported like so many "name brand". The front tires on the stakebody feel no different than the Coopers on the 250. The snow tires on the pickup are a little louder but not annoying. We will see how they wear. The snow tires were 100.00 out the door verses 150.00. The imports(front tires) were 90.00 verses 125.00. I hope this helped and didn't confuse you more. These trucks are dedicated work trucks. Matt

3. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

thanks much Matt...funny you should mention Cooper as that is where I'm leaning after doing some more research. From what I;ve been able to gather, they have a good reputation for suv/truck tires and their price is right. As you mentioned, the Goodyears are a little over the top on price.

4. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

I don't know the load ratings but I have always had great luck with BF Goodrich ALL-Terrain TA's......and more recently Bridgestone Dueler AT Revos....40,000+ miles for each.....

Derek

5. lamarbur

lamarbur LawnSite Member

I agree with GarPa in the fact that some ties coming on new trucks, just don't hold up. I have a 01 Dodge with the HO cummins motor, and still not quite to 40K in mileage after 3 1/2 years,, this Dodge like the last one came with Michelins.. they were junk after 20K.. Couple weeks back I went with four new Cooper ATR's I think they're called. Awesome tire, quite, and great traction.. We'll see how these wear compared to those Michelins

6. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

GarPa - I agree with Mmacsek about Coopers. I got over 70,000 miles out of them. The Discoverers were better than my Goodyear Wranglers, plus they were cheaper. Oh yeah, they were made in the USA (I think they still are). If you looking for a serious off-road tire, consider Interco Thornbirds (I use them on my CJ7).

7. sgoalie23

sgoalie23 LawnSite Member

same here, great tires. Got mine at BJ's for 125 a piece installed!

8. leadarrows

leadarrows LawnSite Senior Member
    from N/A

I got a set of 285/75R16 Copper Discoverer A/T in August 2004 I paid 154.53 each and so far they have been great tires. They did very well in that foot of snow we just had. They hold real well on the pavement. Nice quiet tires. And yes American made.

9. lwcmattlifter

lwcmattlifter LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

Ive got the same size Coopers on my F-250. I could not be happier with them, low road noise and even wear, even with Ford's TTB front axle and a Powerstroke. They have lasted as long as my last set of BFG's. I expect at least 40k from these tires.

10. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

I've been told that Michelin LTX M/S is a great highway/long life tire. I had been shopping for tires and was told that these were long lasting tires and great for a larger truck. I ended up getting the BF Goodrich All Terrain T/A's because of their more aggresive tread pattern as I do alot of snow travelling in the winter and off roading in the summer.