1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Your Fired!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnprosteveo, Sep 10, 2004.

1. lawnprosteveo

lawnprosteveo LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

I feel so good tonight! I finally fired my biggest pain in the a** customer! No matter how meticulously I cut their lawn, no matter how patient I was with their outrageous demands, they were never satisfied....Finally today, I said "since you are unhappy with the job I did...then dont pay me for today but I wont be back" and then I let her know just how I felt about her and her husbands crappy attitudes... Not only did I feel better, but my crew was overjoyed that they never have to go back to mow that witches yard again!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cool2:
  2. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Why would you not want to get paid for the work you just did?

3. GrassBustersLawn

GrassBustersLawn LawnSite Senior Member

OTD - My thoughts exactly. I would have handed her a bill for service, demanded payment (CASH) and then told her she was FIRED!!!

It is a good feeling to get rid of them though!

4. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

The only thing that would have made it better would have been to demand payment and get it all on video tape!
  5. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

you screwed up kid, this is what i usually do in cases like that: get paid for sure. after that, miss a few weeks by making up excuses (sick, breakdowns, whatever), let the grass get 3 feet tall then don't even bother calling them or ever going back.
  6. Gene $immons

Gene $immons LawnSite Bronze Member

I think it's cool that you said "hey, I don't need your stinkin money ".

I hate customers like that - good for you

it feels good to tell them to screw off
  7. Acute Cut

Acute Cut LawnSite Senior Member

I understand why he didnt take the money. If you go to a restaraunt and the food is bad for some reason or another then they give that to you free. Same thing here. I think he did handle the situation fine. Also, buy not taking the money he helped to curb the negative comments she may have said about him to other people.

Think about it, are you more likely to complain about the food that you didnt pay for or the bad food you Had to pay for? Simple logic. :dizzy:
  8. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Simple logic does not apply when dealing with idiots! If she is going to bad mouth him she will, just becoase she did not pay for the last mow will never enter her mine. Just the same as if you get bad food and don't have to pay for it, you don't recommend the resterant and say but they did not charge me for the bad food you tell everyone never to go there and relate your experience to them :dizzy: I would have wanted my money for worked performed and if she thought it was such a bad job, she could have tried to prove it to a judje.

9. dkeisala

dkeisala LawnSite Senior Member

Having spent 17 years in the restaurant business and another 8 in landscape maintenance I'm here to tell you that people will complain if they receive something for free or not. It's called being self-righteous and it's in their nature. Plus, if the complaint isn't valid, you've just been ripped off. That's not to say that people often times don't have valid complaints. The two situations need to be handled differently.
  10. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

Not collecting payment could be perceived as an admission of guilt as to not servicing the property correctly in their mind above and beyond what is already going on. It's fine that they can't be pleased (well, not really) but, if you would have demanded payment, that would have shown you believe in yourself and your quality. Regardless, they're gone and you'll move on.