Your first vehicle?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by njmark84, Apr 23, 2012.

1. njmark84

njmark84 LawnSite Member
    from NJ

A lot of people here mention what there first equipment was in regards to mowers, blowers, trimmers, etc. But what about your vehicle?

Reason I ask is, not everyone owns a pickup truck. Did you use a car or maybe SUV to start out with?

I'd like to hear from you guys.

2. jrs.landscaping

jrs.landscaping LawnSite Silver Member
    from Maine

A used 1995 2WD Ford 250 with service body and 210k miles :cool2:

3. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

My first vehicle was a 99' pontiac grand am 4dr. It was handed down to me from my mom. When joined the Army, I gave it bak to her. After Boot camp I bought a 99 F150 ext cab long bed. While I was deployed I lifted it 13"s on 40" mud tires. I worked the crap out of tht truck after hurricane Katrina.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. njmark84

njmark84 LawnSite Member
    from NJ

Nice, I'm planning out my business now. I know its somewhat late to start, but hopefully I can grab a handful of accounts to do on the weekends while still working my full time job. Next season I plan to go full time with it.

As for now, most likely will be working out of a 2005 Honda Pilot. Strong enough to at least tow a trailer with 2 mowers and some light equipment.

5. superdog1

superdog1 LawnSite Member
    Male, from Lebanon, PA

I started with an 06 Chevy Silverado 4 door 1500 and an 89 GMC van. I had the van before I started, as it was my service van for the apartments I own and the WISP (wireless internet service provider) business I started in 2000. The van sits most of the time and the Chevy gets the wheels driven off of it. I originally bought the Chevy because I needed a truck once and awhile and I have 3 kids. As it turned out, it really came in handy, as I now have 3 guys working with me everyday and we all fit! I also bought a 1994 GMC 3500 series 4WD dump with a 9ft Western blade to do my snow accounts and haul dirt, mulch, stone and anything else you can think of. The Chevy is really more of a car than a truck. I love the truck, but it's cargo capacity is worthless. It is supposed to be a 1/2 ton, but it squats with less than 700pds in it. It pulls my 2 trailers really well though, so with 4 people and a 24ft trailer behind it loaded with mowers or my Kubota B7800, it seems to handle it rather well. I know I may be pushing the trailer capacity a little, but I take my time and drive very cautiously and with the brakes on the trailer, it stops really well.

If I had to buy and use only 1 truck and I had a lot of choices, it would be a Chevy 3500 series crew cab with an 8ft bed. While I know it would be a LOT of truck to maneuver around with on a daily basis, it is the only unit I can think of that would do everything I needed it too, especially when it comes to pulling trailers and hauling mulch around?

6. BOSS LAWN 2343

BOSS LAWN 2343 LawnSite Senior Member

Ah! The first vehicle! My first was a 199X Mercury Villager with 230,000 miles. Used it for my first entire season.

0124111337a.jpg

0124111336.jpg

0124111336a.jpg

0124111337.jpg

7. vinnieobrien

vinnieobrien LawnSite Member

I been looking out to buy a vehicle I was looking at some 2002 ford explorer. Can tow a little over 5k pounds. That should be enough for a solo guy. And it'll be my everyday ride as well.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. crichardson

crichardson LawnSite Member

1989 dodge ram 100 is my work truck and daily truck now...my first truck was a 2000 ford excursion, i wish i still had it and a 16 ft trailer....:(

9. calvinslawnservices

calvinslawnservices LawnSite Senior Member

I use a 01 Ford Expedition. It tows anything I have to, I would recommend a truck with a bed because it sucks not having a bed for debris.

10. clydebusa

clydebusa LawnSite Bronze Member

1973 Chevy 1/2 ton truck, owned 6 months and put my cousins 1969 chevy 302 motor in from his 69 camaro indy pace car. Fastest truck around! Well for 1 year then I blew the motor.