Your flow,,,,

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Husky, May 2, 2004.

1. Husky

Husky LawnSite Member

Everyone has there own thing they do when they get to a propery to service it. What is yours, and what works the fastest for you?

I like to trim,,edge than mow and blow,,it seem to leave the lawns looing trhe best without the extra tall grass from trimming

2. RTallday

RTallday LawnSite Member

Husky, are you new to the business? Just wondering. I personally mow, than trim so in case one of us doesnt get as close to something i dont have to go re-trim it. Than i blow everyting off. Whenever i edge, my guy who does the trimming does that too. Blowing is the last thing that is done before we leave a job.

-Rich

3. trimmerhead

trimmerhead LawnSite Member

I agree 100% with you Husky. I always trim and edge and then mow and blow. I am a solo operation so i know how far away from objects i need to trim, thus i know i won't miss anything. That way the mower will pick up the clippings from trimming.

4. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

Working solo, I trim first, edge, mow and blow. I don't have to worry about not getting close enough, or missing areas. Since I mulch, somtimes after I trim and edge, I blow the majority back onto the yard, depending how much it is.

I think it sucks to finally get done mowing, and then still have to trim and edge. The mower is like a break, I do the hard stuff first, then it's cake from there until the next job.

5. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I mow first (all of the borders first, then stripe), then trim and finally blow

6. Tvov

Tvov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Funny how people do things differently.

We mow, trim, then blow. I've found that when we trim first, we end up trimming alot more than necessary.

Find your own methods and patterns, but try changing them every once in awhile to see if there is a faster way.

7. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

I blow first , then mow, and edge last. LOL. Actually we have a 5 man crew and it all gets done at the same time, except we blow last.DAH!

8. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

check under mat for money, wack, edge, mow, blow.

9. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

I trim, edge, mow, then blow. I trim first so that the trimmer takes off a smooth pass, before being mashed down by the mower wheel. I work solo and know how much needs to be trimmed, and never have to return with the trimmer.

If two different people are doing the work, then the issue of returning to finish the trim may be a problem, but never when working solo. Sometimes I trim wider so that I can run my mower wheel further away from the edge, sometimes a narrow trim, when I'm going to run the wheel close. I try to vary where the wheel runs so that there is no rut near the edge.

10. GrassFearsMe

GrassFearsMe LawnSite Senior Member

We trim either after or during cutting( oviously not solo) but when i do cut solo i always cut first because i find sometime i mess up the edges with the mower, then finsh with blowing off always.