Your going to charge me for picking of straw?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by QualityLawnCare4u, Oct 26, 2005.

1. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

I went to do a yard this morning that I have grown to dislike badly because of all the straw it has in it. I do it eow and it needs to be every week. I get my BP blower out and start blowing the straw away from the house and drive, it was real thick and I'm thinking "I'm fixing to change my policy on these yards that is taking longer because of this". The lady comes out after I had been there about 10 minutes and ask me "the grass does not need mowing and you should be able to do it cheaper now". I stood there amazed for a second then told her "you think I can do it cheaper now? The straw has covered the ground, I STILL have to weed eat and go over the whole yard with the mower to bag it PLUS I have to blow it to where I can get to it! Actually I'm fixing to start charging extra for it because of the extra time it takes, your yard will take me an extra hour today." She said "but the grass does not need mowing and you could rake it without having to use your mower". I told her "you still don't get it do you, I STILL have to go over it with the mower, period and I have this equipment where I don't have to rake". "Well, she says, I cant afford it this month, Ill rake it myself, my teen needs some new clothes". I told her to have fun and start walking back to the truck and she is standing there with that deer in the headlight look. What the***** are people thinking? What really ticked me off was I only had 2 yards to do today and pulling my equipment all the way to town was not worth the gas to do one lousy yard.

2. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

Is your vehicle/trailer lettered?

If so, then your trip isn't really lost, as every person that sees your advertising is a potential new customer.

3. QualityLawnCare4u

Yep, its lettered. Some of the folks that have seen and called wished they had not seen it:D

4. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

LOL THATS FUNNY
    i hate it when people pulled that crap so i just dropped them
    1 year i went from 148 lawns to 80 mowings a week anyone that came out and gave any crap got the boot i also axed anyone that never gave me any extra work man it felt good and i also fired 2 men so i was makeing way more doing 80 lanws then 148 and i was not so stressed payup

5. QualityLawnCare4u

Wished I had 68 lawns to drop:D :D Its funny though when you have one of those weeks that you say to your self every yard you stop at "Go ahead a--hole, give me a reason". Sometimes you have just had enough. I only have 2 bad ones right now that I feel that way about, not saying 5 more wont turn bad tomorrow.:D

6. dfor

dfor LawnSite Senior Member

If straw is anything like pine needles, they are a pain in the but to clean-up. Why these customers think it should cost the same is beyond me. You did right by not giving in to her.
    I hear people from the south talk about straw. What exactly is it? Pine needles??

7. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah, it's also called pine straw.

8. wowlawncare

wowlawncare LawnSite Member
    from TN

When I started mowing when I was in highschool id take anything. I had 2 yards that were pretty much dirt and weeds. And the customers that no other cutters would work for. Now I have NO problem with telling them that I dont want to give them a bid. I dont put up wtih it either. It costs more in the long run to deal with the crap in the yard then you make money on. And its not my job to take away the trash and sticks for free. Had a few that every week id pull up and there would be a pile if brush to haul off. There is plenty of good yards with easy going people that will pay for your service.

9. wowlawncare

wowlawncare LawnSite Member
    from TN

And straw here is wheat stems that is bailed up. Not pine needles. Just like its pop here, not soda or cola.

10. yrdandgardenhandyman

yrdandgardenhandyman LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

Just curious. Where was all the straw coming from?