Your guy's experiences with Renters

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by KINGjosh, Apr 7, 2005.

1. KINGjosh

KINGjosh LawnSite Senior Member

All my experiences with rental properties have all turned the same. They never pay on time. Always biiitchen, and expect everything for nothing. I started to lean towards not doing them at all. Do you think its rude to ask if they rent or own? Now on the other hand I do have a couple of accounts that the owner of the property pays me, and that works out fine. Nothing against renters but their not for me!

2. marko

marko LawnSite Senior Member

See if your county has a website with property info. Most don't, but some will have a search by name feature or list the owners name. If they except your quote go home and do the research. If they are a renter, require payment up front or credit card only. Another option is to work it in on your interview/initial contact ie. how long have you lived here? Rent or own?. Then if you have a bad feeling, do some research.

3. marko

marko LawnSite Senior Member

4. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

You're working for the renter? Find out who the landlord is and get a steady account out of it. Used to know a guy that had a few properties like that he mowed. His service was figured into the rent already each month. jmy.02

5. KINGjosh

Yeah, I also have landlords that i deal with, but some landlords don't include it in the rent price.

Marko, thanks for that site.

6. Todd's lawncare

Todd's lawncare LawnSite Senior Member
    from P.A

Some land lords dont what to deal with it. So you can't do that all the time.
    But i do alot almost all i do is for renters and i don't have any problems getting paid

7. KINGjosh

How much is it for a typical 3/2 to rent up there?
    Where I work it is $2,000-2,500 for a typical 3/2 to rent, which probably explains a good reason why their always late with payment.

8. Todd's lawncare

Todd's lawncare LawnSite Senior Member
    from P.A

That's almost half of what you can buy them for here

9. KINGjosh

You mean you can buy a house for $6,000 out right up there?

10. Rhett

Rhett LawnSite Bronze Member

Still have a few of them left from the first year. Do not deal with them any more. Late payers, want crap for free, do not pick up the property ever. Nope don't want them can't use them.