1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Your Heat tolerance?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Charles, Apr 10, 2001.

1. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

I do okay working until the heat reaches 96 degees and 80% humidity then I start to slow down and imagine naked women jumping into ice cooled water( favorite halucination)
    Low humidity 100 degrees is tolerable
    Today and yesterday we have been reaching the 90s. Feels like summer already.
    How about everyone else?
  2. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

Our warmest day so far is 84, had one at 80, but we are back in the 50's today. The 2 days in the 80's over the weekend got our grass greened up and growing, so we start mowing tomorrow. ;)

We are getting some nice rains too, so we are looking good up in Chicago area.
  3. eslawns

eslawns LawnSite Senior Member

The heat is part of life in the south. I just take it a little slower, drink Gatorade instead of only water, and don't overdo it.
  4. Guardian

Guardian LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

2 towels. 1 in cooler, 1 around my neck. It helps beat this Florida heat
  5. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Basically, the best advice is, pace yourself. I keep the fluid level up FREQUENTLY, although at times, I still keep up a high pace. I went down with heat stroke on a jobsite one day back in '86 and I've been REAL careful ever since.
  6. Esby

Esby LawnSite Senior Member

When is heats up good in Minnesota(not that warm...lower 90's) I usually just bring a large jug of ice water for myself. On two occasions I have jumped into one of the lakes during teh day, just make a beach stop and throw on the trunks. Unfortunately I usually never have time for such an occuarance, but it was nice the times it did happen.
  7. Not many torrid days. But we do get socked in September/October 90s w humid. I used to take along my surfboard in case a good swell hits. Have not done that in some time. Think I'll go back to that routine this summer when town (Honolulu/Waikiki) gets summer swell.

Esby's post reminded me of this with his 'swim in the lake' routine. Man Lawnsite is sure valuable.

8. turfguy33

turfguy33 LawnSite Member

I mainly bring a cooler of water to my sites especially if I have an employee with me. This year I decided to do all my new accounts by my self just one time to see how long it took me to accomplish the job, I didn't bring any water, because I thought that it would tempt me too much and I was trying to be as efficient as possible...., bad mistake.......After doing several accounts, I was practically spitting salt......But I did realize that on several of my accounts, I would actually be better off doing them alone, rather than pay $10 a hour for help...Now I only have help on just a hand full of jobs
  9. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

You guys are killin me. I did a dethatch job on 3 acres a couple days ago and the wind chill was 12 above zero.

I'd kill for an 85 degree day now.

I have pretty good heat tolerance, I sweat like a pig. Here in N.E. Wisconsin we don't get a lot of unbearable days.
  10. Greenkeepers

Greenkeepers LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE Ohio

Always have lots of fluids (water,gatorade) and some snacks handy. Also make sure to pace yourself...