Your hourly wage in michigan

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by cutters edge, Jan 7, 2005.

1. cutters edge

cutters edge LawnSite Member

I bidding on my first commercial property. Duties will include cut, trim, blow, Trim hedges and snow plow. Im a solo operator for now.

Hedges will take two hours:(2 times a year)

Cut will take 45 min: (28 cuts a year)

Snow plow will take hour: (Depends on how much it snows)

This is what i have estimated. Thank you for your help in advance.

2. Smithers

Smithers LawnSite Silver Member

try to post this in the "Michigan LCO's" forum. the guys may answer it there.

3. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

I would charge:

Hedges: $500 for two trims.
    Cutting: $3000 year
    Plowing: $2000 year + $200 salt application that is added each time salt is applied.

Personally If I were you I'd charge $6500 to save my ass if anything. Also, its hard to get people to fork over that kind of money up front, so try to get them to pay $625 a month for 12 months, this way you atleast have an income throughout the year no matter what.

Also, do they have sprinklers? if so, are you going to blow them out in the winter? Will you areate? will you fertilize? these are all things that are good money makers and are quick and easy.

Hope this helps.

My prices might be way off for some people on here, but this is what I would go for if I were you. I like to atleast GROSS $100 an hour when im alone and running my own equipment, you will find that after that $100 an hour you may only profit about $60. But again, this is my pricing stratgies (spelling?) for residential properties, I always try to gross atleast $100 an hour, and there should be no reason to go lower for commercial. Also, alot of commercial places wont hire you unless you are lisenced and insured, so make sure you are, and you can also be ticketed by the local police if your not lisenced or insured. These are all things you need to consider. And if the company dosent hire you and they try to play the good ole bartering game with you, walk out the door, dont let them talk you down, if you let them talk you down, your only loosing money...

Also, when plowing, if its a condo or apartment complex dont forget about parking spots and cars being parked there. And also make sure everything can be fit into the schedule so you wont fall behind in the spring and fall when its the busiest.

hope these tips help. Now bring back more snow!!!!

4. cutters edge

cutters edge LawnSite Member

Thank you for your help. If any body else has any suggestions fee to comment. Bidding on your first one is hard.

5. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

Don't know about the going rates in MI but at $100.00 per hour they are a lot better than NC.
    I also don't know about charging $1000 extra just to cover you but#. Around here commerical is some of the tightest contracts to get and to just pad a contract will guarantee when you walk out the door you will keep walking.