Your input

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by mitchgo, Sep 17, 2009.

1. hoskm01

hoskm01 LawnSite Fanatic

Absolutely and without exception,,, YES.

I ve never once had a problem with slips up to 3", main and lateral. I think theyre good stuff!

2. Without A Drought

Without A Drought LawnSite Bronze Member

in straight lines , flo-spans are no problem, i've used them to 3" as well.
    as far as where to leave them. it says on the fitting "mid travel", most people you talk to will say fully extended. i tend to leave them just under fully extended. the only one i ever had leak on me was a 1.5" that i set fully extended.

3. Waterworks R Us

Waterworks R Us LawnSite Member

i use slip fix quite often 2'' an 1'' actually installed one on my main line at my own nursery today i have not had any problems with them .

4. mitchgo

mitchgo LawnSite Silver Member

I'm pretty anal on the measurements with slip fixes. Measuring tape,

I haven't had one of mine personally blow up ( I'm sure one or two will eventually) but my boss has had some blow on main lines and for that our policy is to not use slip fixes on mains unless a last resort.

5. Waterlogged

Waterlogged LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

absolutey extend them all the way I have put them on mainlines but only when I have to, and I never put them near a fitting If they do move they can break things

6. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

every fitting over 1" i've ever bought has had instructions wrapped around the slipfix and secured with a rubber band.

7. Waterlogged

Waterlogged LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

:waving::laugh:I don't buy mine from HD just kidding

8. hoskm01

hoskm01 LawnSite Fanatic

Thats true, all of the bigger ones have instructions rubber-banded on. I should get one out of the van and see what she says.

9. MEXANDME

MEXANDME LawnSite Senior Member

The LASCO instructions say to glue your fitting on to the male end of the slip-fix, compress it, lay it on your pipe, and cut your pipe 1/4" longer. This certainly will not allow the slip-fix to fully extend??????

Am I misinterpreting something?

Thanks / Regards,

Mex

10. irrig8r

irrig8r LawnSite Platinum Member

I've always liked the KBI version of a "slipfix" the best:

http://www.kbico.com/product_info.php?cPath=21_26&products_id=611

Always fully extend, and don't use within a few feet of a 90 if you can avoid it (and sometimes you should avoid being near the middle socket of a tee, depending on your configuration and the looseness of your soil.)