Your kidding me, no gas cap?!?

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by twomancrew, Jul 12, 2013.

1. twomancrew

twomancrew LawnSite Senior Member

Yup guess what I left on the trailer and not on the fuel tank at the gas station today? Went back and could not find it. Lost prol 2 gallons going down the road too. Unloaded and stopped by the dealer and they don't have them in stock. She said she normally has 3, but this week they all disappeared. No more Z500 on the floor so I am stuck until Monday. She called every dealer she knew of for me too.

So let me have it, I need my a$$ kicked for this one. Stupid, Stupid, Stupid. My wife called me human, said it comes with the territory.
  2. Porcupine Lawn and Snow

Porcupine Lawn and Snow LawnSite Senior Member

ahhhhh.. it happens. Just this week I lost my Jerry can spout at the gas station while filling up and it was windy out too so it rolled away... But it wasn't such a problem because I just went and bought a Spout assembly at the hardware store which was 2 footsteps away.
  3. Hawkshot99

Hawkshot99 LawnSite Senior Member

I have never lost the cap. But have forgotten to install it a few times. I have found it lying on the trailer, and fallen down on the mower. Usually loose a bunch of gas as well.
  4. ReddensLawnCare

ReddensLawnCare LawnSite Bronze Member

My employee left both caps off my z two days ago. Found them but one was broken
  5. Triton2286

Triton2286 LawnSite Member

Wednesday morning I drove 10miles (steep hills and really rough roads) with my tailgate down and my brand new Echo Trimmer in the back with a couple rakes and cones. Didn't loose anything. Whoops! :rolleyes:

6. Pierre2013

Pierre2013 LawnSite Bronze Member

Why don't you use two screws and a long, thin piece of plastic so your gas cap is always 'attached' to the tank?

APLUS LAWN CARE LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from North Missouri

My deere has a chain to hold it on but I have forgot to put it on a few times and spilled a few gallons. If mine didn't have a chain, I am sure me or one of my workers would lose it.
  8. OakNut

OakNut LawnSite Platinum Member

I lost the cap on my push mower one day on the first job of the day.

I took the plastic wrap off a sammich I had in the cooler, placed it over the filler neck, and used a rubber band to secure it.

Then I found the cap. LOL
    After that, I bought a spare that I keep in my toolbox just in case.
  9. Pierre2013

Pierre2013 LawnSite Bronze Member

But then, you lost your toolbox, right? ;)
  10. Four_Seasons

Four_Seasons LawnSite Member

Man I had to re-read this a couple times. For some reason I thought you meant you left your trailer gate down and I was beyond confused. lol