Your kidding me, no gas cap?!?

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by twomancrew, Jul 12, 2013.

1. chuacro

chuacro LawnSite Senior Member

I am guilty of all above and more. I will not admit anything yet and will not until I get a little bit more senile.

2. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

Yea, "usually" we have 50 in stock, but not today--sawwwyyy. Seems I always get that line too:cry:

3. Triton2286

Triton2286 LawnSite Member

God...if I had left the trailer gate down for that long then I should get out of this business while I can lol.

4. herler

herler LawnSite Fanatic

Solution ONE:

1. If you have twin tanks, drain the side that's missing the cap.
    2. Clamp that side's fuel line shut.
    2a. Either disconnect it and insert something steel in the end.
    2b. A clothes hanger might work, or a SMALL vise grips to clamp it up good.
    2c. Disconnect the fuel line and tie a knot in it.
    (2b and 2c might require replacing the fuel line later)

Double CHECK to make SURE it's not leaking!!!
    And throughout the day, just a quick glance here and then.

3. Bring extra fuel along and every 3-4 yards check the fuel side tank.

Solution TWO:

1. Grab two sheets of 8.5 x 11 printer style paper.
    2. And a rag, and a big STRONG rubber band (or two).

If you have more of the above I'd grab one or two more sets as I don't know how long it will last.

3. Set the two sheets square over top of the fuel tank opening and clamp them down around the threads, set the rag over top of it all and wrap it around with the rubber band(s).

There, won't last forever and it might leak and smell but it should get you down the road a bit.
    Ride careful, don't go fast over big bumps and take it easy on the inclines, if you can try and keep the leaky side UP slope.

Solution THREE:

Believe it or not other equipments sometimes use the same type of cap, one hates to steal one off a working piece of equipment but I'd check every last one, especially those that sit around most of the year like leaf blowers and stump grinders.

Yes sir, I been down these roads more than once, learn to help yourself lol

Last edited: Jul 13, 2013
  5. herler

herler LawnSite Fanatic

I meant to add...

Unfortunately if solution two the paper disintegrates you'll likely end up having to remove the tank and cleaning it out later.
    And don't, whatever you do, do NOT use plastic such as trash or grocery bags, the fuel will eat right through it.

6. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Put a sock in it I see that all the time in my area. Oh by the way my Lincoln doesn't have a gas cap.

7. OakNut

OakNut LawnSite Platinum Member

Would that be a MOWlitov cocktail?

:laugh: Hoo-wee! I crack me up!!!

8. ExmarkBoy

ExmarkBoy LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

Funny this should come up. I recently invented a gas cap tether after losing (and finding) a few gas caps. Now I'm trying to finish designing a universal fit for all gas caps.

I mow for a guy who does plastic manufacturing, and so I'm hoping to get the product out to some of the dealers nearby by the middle of August. Do you guys think you would get a few if you saw one at your dealer?

9. twomancrew

twomancrew LawnSite Senior Member

The cap cost me $13. I ordered 2 so I'll have one in the glovebox for next time. Can you sell your product for $5? If so I'll take 2!!

10. ExmarkBoy

ExmarkBoy LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

I have no idea what it will cost to manufacture the tether (I will be finding out soon), but I'm hoping the dealers will be able to sell a set of them for $15 - $20. I figure that preventing the hassle of having to go buy one in the future is definitely worth something. Plus, as I sell more, the manufacturing costs will go down, and then I can lower pricing. Who else would be interested in this product?