1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Your kidding, right?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by McGaw, Jun 5, 2008.

1. McGaw

McGaw LawnSite Member
    from Ontario

Today I went to do an account and saw teh lady talking to another LCO. Apparently she thinks it would be better if he cut it with a zero turn, and charge $75 instead of the $35 I was charging her... I said that fine and walked away laughing. I saw him cut the front, looks like a two year old cut it. I didn't have a clue how he was going to fit through the gate, (26"). I later get a knock on the door from him, he persists to ask me if I would like to work for him and says he will need to borrow my lawn mower as he doesn't have a push... I laughed and closed the door... About 10 minutes later I get a call asking if I would come and cut her lawn again. I say ok, so now I'm charging her $75. It's truelly unbeleiable what some people do... I guess I just needed to let it all out...

2. timmac

timmac LawnSite Senior Member

at least you got a raise. did that idiot actually believe you would work for him?
  3. zemzabob

zemzabob LawnSite Senior Member

I would thank him for the $40 raise lol
  4. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

:laugh::laugh::laugh:I love It!! You can't fix stupid and some folks deserve what they get!!:laugh::laugh: Enjoy the raise:laugh: Surely the new LCO measured the gate and the part about wanting you to work for him..... I'm lauging so hard think I am going to pizz on myself!
  5. BDLC Mikey

BDLC Mikey LawnSite Member

What a dumb a$$ how do you agree to do a yard without walking it first?????
  6. Turfrific

Turfrific LawnSite Member

hey i noticed your from london canada, have you heard of a guy on youtube from there? calls it dave's farm, where he shows you how to fix gas powered stuff.
  7. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

How ironic. I just finished a old lady that came out and started lighting into me that I was cutting to long and that it HAS to be cut shorter. As I was cutting, I though, man I hope I don't scalp the grass, then she tell me I'm not cutting short enough! WTF? On top of all that, she wants me to pull up all the small maple tree's that are starting to pop up in the shrubs and bushes! Then to make matters worse, I was cutting every week and cutting at least 3 inches off. Now she tells me that I have to start cutting it every 10 days and cut it shorter!!! I almost told her where to stick it. I'm charging her $65 a week and I clean up sticks everywhere in the lawn from the tree's every week. Here's a pic of the palce. I spend at minimum 1.5hrs each week doing everything. If I cut every 10 days and spend even MORE time pulling the weeds/tree's she wants out plus longer to mow, whats the use even keeping her?
    I think I'll cut everything, no trimming or nothing and cut it as fast as I can.
    I also told her if I cut any shorter it will scalp the lawn, she said, "I've lived here 50 years and I get it cut short, you have to do the same thing or I'll find someone else to do it. I'm VERY frustrated as I have very few customers right now.

8. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

Oh yeah, she fed me this "I have a family to take care of" kinda crap. She's 90+ years old and lives by her self. I told her I can't work for free and that if she gets ANYONE to do it at my price, she won't get the other stuff done. She keeps mentioning her nephews saying they say it should be shorter. I'm very frustrated as I have been taking good care of the place for the money I'm getting. To end it all, she says, If you want to keep doing it, I'll see you in 10 days and cut it shorter then closed the door on me.
  9. milkie62

milkie62 LawnSite Senior Member

Just explain to her what it will look like after almost 2 weeks.In the summer it will probably die if cut shorter.I cut one big property at 3 " .The LCO next door must cut at 2.5 ".Mine looks like a lush carpet when done.I will admit his looks better after 6 days since it is more even since it was cut shorter from the start but you have either a nicer lawn at the beginning or the end of the week.You cannot have both.Plus I think a little taller keeps it looking fuller and thicker.
  10. IMAGE

IMAGE LawnSite Bronze Member
    from midwest

Just dont go back after ten days. After about 2 weeks either she will call you, or someone else will be doing it.

Let her spend the time and find someone else willing to do it. They will come see a lawn with 2-3 weeks growth and thier price will be high enough to send her running back to you. Be sure to raise your price also.

Remember your not an employee, your the boss of you. Dont let customers walk over you.