1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Your kids working for you?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lawn-Scapes, Jul 18, 2001.

1. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

Does anyone have thier kid working with them? If so.. how does it work out for you? Son or daughter? How old are they?

My daughter has asked if she could work with me. I told her maybe next year. She's only 13, but very responsible and great determination in everything she does. She would have no problem operating my Lazer (on relatively flat lawns) and a handheld blower.

As a solo operator, I could use the extra help until I could build the business to the point that I could afford to hire a full time employee.

I feel it might not look too professional though.....

What's everyone think?
  2. Island Lawn

Island Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

I see a few guys with kids helping them.
    To me, it does add to their already unprofessional image.

I guess the part that gets me is they have these 13 yr old kids out there running equipment with no hearing or sight protection!
    (They're just following the status quo)

On the other hand, it give the kids something constructive to do...

BTW, I'm solo....& like it!
  3. script

script LawnSite Member

My 17 year old helps me during summer vacation and my older son did the same until he graduated. Mine started when they were about 15. I think it's great to have family working together and it gives the kids something to do. As long as you train them properly, they'll look and act as professional as the next guy.

4. 13yearoldcutter

13yearoldcutter Guest

My dad helps me in my bussiness........ J/K I also work solo and all my friends see the money I make and want to join
  5. John from OH

John from OH LawnSite Member

My oldest daughter started working for us last summer at the age of 10. I would not put a youg child on power equipment. My memory isn't what it used to be, but I believe that employees must be 18 to operate most power equipment due to child labor laws. Hours have to be limited and compensation has to be at least minimum wage. Check the Department of Labor for the child labor laws. My daughter waters plants in our holding pen twice per day, cleans the office, opens and sorts mail, copies, files, prints out plant pictures from Horticopia, and other misc. small task that need done. She puts in 10-15 hours a week. Occasionally, I'll take her to selected clients homes to help do site studies, measure up landscapes and shoot elevations. She looks forward to those days because we will stop for lunch, ice cream, or just a pop if time permits. I let clients know when I will have her with me and what she will be doing. So far, they have been impressed that she is willing to work and that she knows where and what I want her to do next. She also has company uniforms to wear when we do our site studies. Its been very good for her to learn what Dad does, how to measure and calculate area, volume, etc. and she is learning to handle money as well. We let her keep a small amount of her paycheck, the rest goes into her college fund which she is learning to manage.
  6. Just Cut

Just Cut LawnSite Member

My son age 17 and I have worked together for 2 years now. It has been great working with him, he has been trust worthly and has kept him out of trouble. To many kids beleive that the world owe's them a living. this biz has been good for the both of us
  7. BerksLawn

BerksLawn LawnSite Member

Im 15 and have been workin with my dad since i was 10. Well im layed off now havent worked in a week guess i should go do a rain dance huh. It works out just fine and it doesnt look unprofessional because i know alot of kids my age working for other lco's.
  8. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

I think I'm with Island Lawn on this one. When they get to be 17 and 18 that's a different story. The younger ones do seem to make it a "anyone can do it profession". I know every situation is different and if it works for you don't change. Everyone will perceive it in a different fashion. It certainly is great to see the young working in todays day and age of spoiled little punks everywhere though.
  9. Chuck Sinclair

Chuck Sinclair LawnSite Senior Member

My daughter is 15 and works her tail off for me she mows, weeds bed pickup debris does office work when i dont need her in the field she does pretty much what ever needs to be done.
  10. kris

kris LawnSite Bronze Member
    from nowhere

We hired my stepdaughter last season at age 17...Gotta tell you, I was worried to death about her not being able to keep up and that it would sour the great relationship that we have at home.... She did fine and stuck it out ...She did say that she saw a completely differant person at work...She was not used to me "bosssing" her around , because at home I let her mother do all the disiplining and I am the nice guy :) Over all it was a great experience for us both and brought us even closer togeather.