your local dealers positives?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by BOSCHERT LAWN CARE, Jan 27, 2008.

BOSCHERT LAWN CARE LawnSite Member

what does your local do for you that other dealers do not?
    and what makes a dealer stand out above all others? discounts? inventory? incentives? personal friendly service?

im new in the industry and am personaly looking for the LCO's opions :waving:
  2. lawnprosteveo

lawnprosteveo LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

They are personal and friendly...they always act happy to see me. Im not a "big time" lco...but they make me feel like theyre glad Im there.

Some dealers around here give you the impression they could care less if you are there or not. They even act like you are putting them out to have to help you.
  3. IN2MOWN

IN2MOWN LawnSite Platinum Member

I agree with the above.

Im not a big timer either but they still take the time to open the door for me and make me feel like Im the only one in the building.

They know me and my family by first name. They take the time to say hi to my kids. When I have a problem they call me about it instead of just fixing it. When I dont understand something they will break it down and explain it to me.
  4. Smurf

Smurf LawnSite Member
    from Maine

Most dealers i buy from are fairly small and have a family feel to them, which i like.

While discounts are nice, i'd rather have a dealer that was friendly and helpful with a good inventory of parts. There's nothing worse, in my opinion, than a dealer that acts like your wasting their time.
  5. iblonger

iblonger LawnSite Member

My dealer has most parts on hand or gets them quickly and will cut me small deals where he can (oil at cost etc...) but the most important thing is when my equipment goes down I move above all homeowners on the list. He gets that this is my lively hood.
  6. TomberLawn

TomberLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

The above statements are very true. I recently started dealing with a dealer who is a few more miles away, but still no more than about 20 miles away, but he is the biggest dealer in my area, and there's a reason for that. He sells over 1000 mowers a year to owner-operators and large fleets alike. I visited him because he was the only dealer within 25 miles who had any grass catchers in stock and I needed ASAP. Everybody else I called could either have them in 2 days, 2 weeks, or as much as 2 months. The dealer owner took me to the warehouse and searched through his inventory to find one to fit my mower. He calls me by name every time I come by and will spend as much time as needed to answer any questions I may have. I am a part-time solo operator, but he treated me like I was buying a fleet of zero turns from him. While I was looking over the warehouse and showroom with him, I overheard his cell phone conversations with LCOs and landscapers calling him and I could understand why so many Bob-Cat and Hustler mowers are in my area.
    I mentioned to the guy how impressed I was with the way he ran his dealership and how much business he does. His store is about 10 miles out of town, so for people to come to him, it's a little bit further drive than the dealers in town. He said a guy bought a $3 pack of trimmer line from him and he thanked the man for his business. The man replied that he could have bought the trimmer line at Wal-Mart for $2 and save driving 10 miles out of town, but nobody would have said "I appreciate your business."
    I think LCOs can learn something from our favorite dealers--treat customers like the really matter and they will never leave you, even if the price is better somewhere else.