Your method on spreading top soil/grading

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by iowa, Aug 19, 2007.

1. iowa

iowa LawnSite Senior Member
    from NW IA

How does everyone do it? On new installs, I like to work backwards with the skid loader...get it semi-graded, then run it all over with the harley rake.

Does anyone do it any other way besides in a backwards motion with the skid?

2. Vikings

Vikings LawnSite Bronze Member
    from canada

I seen a very large co. here grading city blvd. they were dragging a section of chain link fence with some large pieces of wood on top.

I thought it was very low tech but this company is huge and they have all the toys, large and small. I guess this is their preferred method. Now that it was hydro seeded (I think) and has had a couple months to grow, it looks great. They laid sod along the edges next to the curb and just seed the rest.

3. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

Bobcat T190 + tooth bucket

-Cut the humps and bumps
    -Spread soil to a rough grade
    -Float everything
    -Touch up with rakes where needed
    -Get to work

*Floating is key. Tiger Woods could come putt on it afterwards if he wanted.

4. tthomass

from N. VA

I have drug a pallet behing a gator before too......

Working in the middle of nowhere and lacking tools with a previous company I worked for but it got the job done.

Its all the same, just a matter of technique and what you are best at that makes you most productive and more profitable.

5. gammon landscaping

gammon landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

cut the high spots and fill the low.....then i use an elmanator rake and dress the edges with a hand rake

6. alternative

alternative LawnSite Senior Member

What do you float with? A bullfloat

7. tthomass

from N. VA

The tooth bucket.

Cut, spread, float. ABC & 123

8. Axl

Axl LawnSite Member

new to the skid operations and such....what do you mean by "float"

9. tthomass

from N. VA

The vertical lift of the arms......imagine that they are only hinged at the rear (as they are) and the hydraulics are gone. If you are strong enough you could just pick the front up by the bucket......the arms are loose and not locked in place by the hydraulics.