1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

your minimum price

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by causalitist, May 7, 2008.

1. causalitist

causalitist LawnSite Senior Member

for you bigger guys, with 100+ lawns, whats your minimum price?

i'm thinking slowly I will raise mine to $35

these are for lawns that take 20 min or less.

my first and 2nd year it was $25
    3nd year it was $27
    this year its still $27, which to me is low, but i'm really trying to add alot this year and pull in some cash to pay stuff mowers off... then i'll raise it, lose the cheapasses, and ride it out.

thinking this fall $30 ... next fall $35

my average lawn price is $45 btw.

you big companies at around $35 min?
  2. nitro121

nitro121 LawnSite Senior Member

but I'm not big. Just me (doing office work), 1 full time guy, and 1 part time guy (20-25 yards a week). We have about 85 customers. My full time guy cuts between 8-12 yards a day.

Anywho...I went from $33 to $38 this year because of gas. BUT...I live in the Washington DC Metro area so most people don't mind paying (higher cost of living). But the other LCO's in the area are dropping like flies. :clapping: They have been charging 45 - 60 to cut the lawns I'm asking 38 - 45 for. We only have a 6 month season so you have to make what you can. But now everyones houses aren't worth so much so no one is spending like they were.

I'm taking the Just Mow It approach....not making as much per yard, but hope to have 500 yards one day. :usflag:

3. GreenLeaf-Sam

GreenLeaf-Sam LawnSite Member

When you say lawns, what do you include? Trimming / blowing also at those prices?
  4. MJS

MJS LawnSite Bronze Member

$30 minimum for me this year. Last year it was $25 - the way gas is, I had to raise it.

Still a lot of lowballers in my area charging anywhere from $15 to $20 for lawns I would have to charge $30-$40 on. :dizzy: Haven't lost any customers to them. . .yet.

Not really worried, their work is pretty bad.
  5. nitro121

nitro121 LawnSite Senior Member

mowing, weedeating, edging (if needed), and blowing everything off. I'm offering the same service as the guys who charge 50-60 a cut minimum but for 38 - 50 max. :clapping:

Even my employees think I should charge more but what do they know....I'm looking at the big picture 5 years from now when I run everyone out of business...they are just looking for their next check or weekend party.

Example...just yesterday. A lady called and said "what is your minimum", I said "$30" because we do cut a couple townhouses for 30. She said, then I want you to cut my grass no matter what the charge. She called two local LCO's...their min's where 45 and 60. She took the 45 just to get the grass cut. She said they wouldn't budge and that is too much for my small yard. She said, let me know what you'll do it for and I'll cancel the other guy.

6. evergreenedmond

evergreenedmond LawnSite Senior Member

We're at $43.50 pull up fee for mowing

TJLANDS LawnSite Bronze Member

37.50 is my min. Up from 35 last year.
  8. Lawnut101

Lawnut101 LawnSite Silver Member

I think most big companies around here are around $40-50 minimum. Mine is $30. I tried it at $40, but it just won't work for a new guy in town. I've picked quite a few up, so I'm happy.
  9. meicher806

meicher806 LawnSite Senior Member

I raised our price this year from $35 to $45 per man hour + a fuel surcharge. I love to mow lawns but I need to repalce old equiptment and its not getten any cheaper to do... I mean think about it, people will spend 80 - 100 per week to get there house cleaned so they dont have to do it.. why should we lower our prices..our over head is alot higher than a cleaning company. (this dawned on my over the winter when I was at a customers place and there cleaner showed up in a new Lexus suv) I do however have on property that I do for $15 but they are 3 min away from 5 other jobs and it takes me about 4 min to mow. I should also add that they are a large snow customer for me and the $15 price is only if they signed a excluseive contract with the company for all there landscape needs.
  10. old oak lawn

old oak lawn LawnSite Senior Member

$35 min. small yard. and i dont care if the nabor needs service price is the same. i have some that are $45 $55 and $100 but $35 is as low as i can go, and at that price i need more in that nabor hood to make any $$.