Your mower uses ___ gallons per hour?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Tinkerer, Sep 2, 2005.

1. Tinkerer

Tinkerer LawnSite Senior Member

I think my old Toro 117 with an 18hp Vanguard uses about 1.5 gallons per hour. It has a 52" deck on it but I don't push it really hard. Some of my lawns are on 10 day rotation so the grass gets taller. Whats the average mower use per hour on a __hp motor and __" cut deck cutting __ acres per hour???

2. Soupy

Soupy LawnSite Gold Member

My 27hp Kohler on 52" Hustler uses right at 1/gal per hour. If your mower has two tanks, then let one side run empty then put in x gallons of fuel and right down the amount of hours on your mower. Then when it runs out dived X by number of hours used. Now start checking your hour meter before and after each lawn to see what your usage is for that lawn. You will find that most residential lawns won't use near the hours on a mower that is spent working. You might only put 4 hours on a mower in a 8 hour day. Maybe less, maybe more depending on size and drive time. I have a tight route with Little drive time, but after we factor trimming etc and what little drive time there is, we use about half the hours worked on a mower. This changes on larger lawns with little trimming though.

3. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

I have not checked either of mine lately, but I checked them regularly for about 3 or 4 months. The 27 Kohler on the 60" Hustler was using 1.15-1.25 gallons an hour. The 26 EFI Kohler on the 60" Lazer was using .85-.97 gallon an hour. One thing though, I do not have any numbers from June-August, so it would likely be a little higher usage. I do have them in September, and in Florida the grass is still growing pretty good at that point. Between Sept and Dec, you can see 1/10 gallon an hour swing. So I would not doubt Jun-Aug would be up another 1/10 or so.

4. gorrell

gorrell LawnSite Senior Member

I've got 4 50hp Dixies(3 cyl. turbo yanmar diesel ) and it's hard to get more than a gallon per hour out of them. I've also got a 230 Steiner diesel(kubota) that won't use more than .75 gl/hr................Lynn

5. Tonyr

Tonyr LawnSite Bronze Member

my new John Deere 31hp yanmar diesel powered rocket with 60'' rear discharge deck uses average 2 litres per hour, in gallons that would be around 1/2 gallon or a bit less...I think?

wish you guys spoke metric! lol :p

6. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

I checked just a few weeks ago. My Toro Z Master with a 23hp Kohler and 52" deck used 1.02 Gallons/hour.

7. MOturkey

MOturkey LawnSite Silver Member

My Gravely 250Z with 23 Kawasaki used about 1.3 gph the last time I did an accurate check. Someone else posted the same figure in another thread for this engine/deck combo, so apparently that is about average. From some of the other figures posted, it appears the Kawasakis might be a little harder on fuel than the Kohler engines.

8. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

My JD 495 - 78" deck burns about 4/5's of a gallon per hr - 24 HP Yanmar diese.

My JD 595 - 114" deck burns about the same per hr. - 24 HP Yanmar

Thanks Brad

9. ITL

ITL LawnSite Member
    from SW OH

Wrigh Stander 52 inch with 23 Kawasaki is around 1.0 gallon per hour in moderate grass with mulching plate on. Would like a little less fuel use but don't think the 19 Kawasaki would have sufficient power in thick high moisture grass.

10. Green-Pro

Green-Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

Scag TT 23LC/52 Kaw about 1 gal per hour

Scag TC 19/48 kaw .75 gal more or less per hour