Your oldest employee?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bigjeeping, Mar 5, 2007.

1. bigjeeping

bigjeeping LawnSite Senior Member

Just wondering how old is OLD for this type of work? Does anyone have any 50+ y.o. employees? Can they run with the pack while doing cleansups, mulch, etc?

I know that this is a broad, individualized question... but in general what is your experience with older employees?
  2. Sandgropher

Sandgropher LawnSite Senior Member

My oldest employee turned 40 today, but he feels 65 haha (thats me) :)

i am afraid i cant run with the pack anymore lol
  3. leafitalawn

leafitalawn LawnSite Member

I had a 53 year old last year. He worked great. You would have thought he was 30.
  4. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

My father just turned 58 and he works hard. He did say that in the next 2 years he is going to start cutting back and start turning everything over to me.
  5. bigjeeping

bigjeeping LawnSite Senior Member

Impressive.. my dad is 58 but doesn't do landscaping.. he's had a desk/investigative job for his entire life and cant wait to retire! I know that when he does he's going to want to get his hands dirty with me - he loves hearing about all my mowing/landscaping adventures.
  6. dave k

dave k LawnSite Bronze Member

Being a SP, I'm 52 and can honesty say I'd run circles around men half my age, but if I don't do it who will? Got my work ethics from my Dad.
  7. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

My dad still loves doing it but its starting to get harder for him now. Thats why we retired the WB's and now only run ZTR's. The little gravely 34Z is his mower and he loves it. He doesnt like to use the larger ZTR's that we have but he will if he has to. He told me today with in the next 2-3 years he is going to turn everything over to me and he will do as he pleases and I can just pay him. Sounds like a very fair deal to me! :cool2:
  8. mulchmaster

mulchmaster LawnSite Member
    from ohio

My dad (56 now) worked with me for a few months in the summer of 05. I had a large wall we were doing, I had my dad, myself, and a 17 year old larborer and I thought my dad was going to kill him! He worked circles around the kid and gave him hell for every "little break" he wanted to take. I had to tell him that unless we wanted to do everything ourselves he had lighten up a little. It was august and very hot, my wife was actually at the bank when another lco came in and she heard them say it was too hot to mow and they were going home, it was 11 am! Anyway we spent two weeks on this wall and he amazed me.
  9. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I fall in that category...same age too.
  10. Chynoweth

Chynoweth LawnSite Member
    from UT

My dad turns 71 in May. He has been a farmer his whole life, is in amazing shape. He does not want to ride the Walker, he wants to trim or blow. :weightlifter: Says riding the Walker is not enough exercise for him. He out works me and my 19 year old who would rather be home playing video games, but his mom kicks him out of the house to go with me. I hope I can still be going like him when I'm at his age. But I'll only be doing my own lawn, not for others.