1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

your only making $12/hr

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by CNYScapes, Jan 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CNYScapes

CNYScapes LawnSite Senior Member

When you are working in the field you are only making $12/hr!

Now the $12/hr is just an arbitrary number to represent what you would pay a laborer or foreman, your cost may be more or less.

It took me years to realize that when I was still in a truck I was only saving myself what it would cost me to put someone in that position.

My skills were much more valuable RUNNING the business. Marketing, doing estimates, managing the work and employees.

I know especially for lawn care, potential customers dont want to wait until that night or the next day for you to get them an estimate. When you cant jump right on that estimate you are taking the chance of losing the job and costing yourself money because you are out in the field mowing making $12/hr.

If you want to grow your business, get yourself out of the field as soon as you think you can afford to. For me it was between year 2 and 3 when I made the jump. Im old now, lol so I cant imagine being in the field again but then again I would only be saving myself $480/wk plus txs.

I dont claim to know it all, but I just wanted to share my view on this subject.
  2. Utah Lawn Care

Utah Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

That is sound advice. It's something everyone should consider.
  3. clydebusa

clydebusa LawnSite Bronze Member

I do both, work in the field and do the office stuff. For me I wouldn't have it any other way. I do have a good person in the office that takes care of a lot of the business. But to me to stay active is much more important than not being active. Plus my customers expect to see me. They want to see me and pay me for this.
  4. jc1

jc1 LawnSite Bronze Member

This is true if you have a competent and reliable foreman.
    Productivity plays part also along with quality.
    $12 an hour and 25% percent less work completed makes it more then $480 per week.
    Ultimately it comes down to finding and retaining the right people.
  5. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

Why not just hire a salesman and book keeper. All you would then have to do is spend the money.
  6. Efficiency

Efficiency LawnSite Bronze Member
    from zone 6

Isn't that how a business works? Why do you mockingly suggest this when that should be the ultimate goal of a business owner?
    Posted via Mobile Device
  7. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

Whos mocking, a close friend have a large excavating company, he didn't have a clue how to operate any equiptment and didn't have a CDL to haul the equiptment around.
  8. 205mx

205mx LawnSite Silver Member

Larry is a smart guy but Larry owns his job. There should almost be two different forums. Solo or helper, and crew
    Posted via Mobile Device
  9. JContracting

JContracting LawnSite Bronze Member

There should. New business venture for us two? :D

There's tons of people like that. I intend to have trucks that are CDL sized but I have zero intentions of getting a CDL, that's what you hire & delegate for.
  10. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

I agree with you Efficiency. I'm shooting to be out of the field by next season. Learn to trust and delegate. Hold people accountable for the task assigned to them.
    Posted via Mobile Device
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.