Your Opinion: JD 757, 737, Grasshopper 223, Woods MZ2561K or eXmark LazerZ ct?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Goldkress Kennels, Mar 24, 2006.

1. Goldkress Kennels

Goldkress Kennels LawnSite Member

Greetings! I am seeking advice from the folks that are in the lawn business and or those with knowledge, experience and helpful advice on the following mowers:

1. 2006 John Deere 757, 25hp Kawasaki engine, 60" deck, $8060.00
    2. 2006 John Deere 737, 23hp Kawasaki engine, 54" deck, $7410.00
    3. 2006 Grasshopper 223, 23hp Kohler Command PRO engine, 52" deck, $ 7199
    3. 2006 Grasshopper 227, 27hp Kohler Command PRO engine, 61" deck, $ 8295
    4. 2006 eXmark LazerZ CT, 23hp Vanguard, 60" deck, $6799.00
    5. 2006 Woods MZ2561K, 25hp Kawasaki, 61" deck, $7400.00
    6. 2006 Woods MZ2761, 27hp Kohler, 61" deck, $7650.00

This mower will be used for 5 acres only (non commercial use). Any intel on these machines would be greatly appreciated. These mowers are common in the Lawrence Kansas area. The Ferris, Gravely and Hustlers are not as prominent in the area, but I am researching these as well. Meanwhile, feel free to nit pick for me. Thanks!

Richard & Bernice: usflag:
  2. grass disaster

grass disaster LawnSite Silver Member

3. caden2000

caden2000 LawnSite Member
    from 74745

If you take care of the mower after each use, all of these will last you a long, long time. So, I'd get the one that offered the best deal.
  4. Bay de Noc Lawn Car

Bay de Noc Lawn Car LawnSite Member

Those are all great machines. With that being said, I would get the Grasshopper 223 with a 61" deck. You should be able to get it for the price quoted on the 223-52".
  5. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

I have a JD 737 and a Exmark Lazer z and like both but like the 737 a little better. I have not had experience with the others you listed so I cant compare. One thing that is very important is dealer support no matter what you get. Best mower in the world aint no good with no dealer support. I have the number 1 rated truck for reliabilty but the sorriest dealer in the country and awful customer support so it makes it nill.
  6. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Out of those you have listed I would get the Grasshopper 227/61"

But to me, the prices seem a little steep.
    But they can vary a good bit from place to place.
  7. Luvs2Play

Luvs2Play LawnSite Member

We have a 227/61, traded for a 225/61. My wife runs it, says she will never run anything else but a Hopper. I don't know the prices down there, should be lower I think. I run a 60" Dixon, they are less money but I know it takes alot more abuse than the Grasshopper. We get 2,000 hours on them with no more than general maint. Grasshopper service is really good too, as are the others you have listed, I'm sure.
  8. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Yup, they are in the transition of switching to a new MFG as we speak.
    The new MZ-Series is a Textron Bob-Cat machine.

But I believe this is a good thing because these don't look "monkey'd" with to Woods specs.
    So I'm guessing the Gravely built mids will only be around until they finally sell all the backstock.

9. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I would go Grasshopper. That dealer in Lawrence sucks btw, IMO. Countryside is the Gravely dealer there. The owner is a really nice guy, Monte, if I recall correctly. There are more Gravelys there than you think!
  10. drumbo

drumbo LawnSite Senior Member

Personally, if you are considering that Exmark (with the 23hp motor) I would pick a bigger engine. I love my Exmarks but if you get something that is lower powered, you might end up needing that power later on and be forever be mad at Exmark products...something one should never do.

If you choose the Exmarks, get a bigger motor. Even get a used/demo'd model to shave costs.