Your opinion on Diseaseor bug

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by standeruser, Aug 4, 2006.

1. standeruser

standeruser LawnSite Member

I have a Lawn That has small CIRCULAR patches of dead grass. My first thought was red thread, but at a closer look there was no pink tips.( we had quite a bit of red thread this season here in Jersey) Then I thought brown patch- But the circles are only about 2" x 2 " some slightly larger. Also the customer just got a new sprinkler system put in and she waters every day now. I don't think there's Chinch bugs because the pattern is to symetrical. What do you guys think? Thanks

2. Tscape

Tscape LawnSite Bronze Member

Fungus: Pythium or dollar spot.

3. NattyLawn

NattyLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Sounds like dollar spot.

Also, find out when she's watering and how much. Watering at night will breed disease. Also, you shouldn't need to water every day. Deep, infrequent watering is best for turf.

4. upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

It could be anything. Circular patches describes a host of lawn problems. Get on your knees and look. Find out what chinch bugs look like, what dollar spot looks like and try and identify it. As far as the patch diseases go, the only way to tell for sure is to send a sample off to a lab.