Your opinion on Scag ztr's

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Travis Followell, Jan 17, 2005.

1. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

I have heard some people say that Scag ztr's tend to clump wet grass but their mower catalog where it talks about the Advantage decks seems to say otherwise. The quote from the book says the turbo baffle increases air discharge velocity expelling clippings farther and wider than conventional decks to virtually eliminate clumping and windrowing even in heavy cutting conditions. I would appreciate everyones thoughts on this.

2. naturescaretaker

naturescaretaker LawnSite Senior Member

In the South they tend to rust fast at the welds. That really the only issue I have seen.

3. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I had some problems this year with my scag, but the moisture content (sap) in the fescue here in the mid atlantic was very high, I dont think it was anyone in my area that didnt have some issues with clumping. This fall as things got back to normal the scag done fine, I think every brand claims to be excellent, I think some brands may handle some conditions better than others but none are perfect.

4. Lawnchoice

Lawnchoice LawnSite Senior Member

They do clump a bit, but with a high lift on the discharge spindle, things were much better.

5. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

Back to the top.

6. fivestarlawnken

fivestarlawnken LawnSite Senior Member

take the extra baffle off and take it to the scrap yard.I tried alot of blade combos and then I took off the extra baffle and that solved everything.I'm running a 61 inch with a 25 kawi. It does clump a little with a wet grass,oh well.Life goes on. :cool2:

7. LLandscaping

LLandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

We have two Scag Tiger Cubs and only have clumping problems when it is extremely wet, mainly early morning. Overall they are great mowers that are built to hold up to daily commercial use for many years.

8. green acres lawns

green acres lawns LawnSite Senior Member

The 72" deck on my 2004 tiger is a little different than my brother-in-laws 72" 2003. This coming spring, we will see which one cuts wet grass the best. I also have a 60" deck on my 2000 liquid cooled lazer. It only clumps if the grass(fescue) is wet and thick and over 6" tall.