1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Your opinion on the CAT 257

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by ConstSvcs, May 21, 2008.

1. ConstSvcs

ConstSvcs LawnSite Senior Member

I've been thinking about this machine for some time. Your opinion ?
  2. OhioMowerGuy

OhioMowerGuy LawnSite Senior Member

Ive spent the past couple days in a cat 287 and its a damn good machine. Way better than bobcats.
  3. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

I love my 247, I read some posts from QPS about his 257B that he had, claimed it was a POS, but the new B2 series are the cream of the crop. The only reason I didn't grab the 257 was the extra length and lower angle of departure, but I still think about one.
  4. KPS

KPS LawnSite Member

I have 104 hours on our 257B2 completely problem free and loving it. WAY WAY WAY better than our T190. smoother quieter and an all round fantastic machine. It has plenty of balls for what we do, it just takes a few hours to learn to finess the machine as opposed to just ramming piles. I would buy another one in a heartbeat. I even pulled a Tri axle dumptruck out of the mud today, it has crazy good traction. In my opinion its a perfect mid sized track machine.
  5. Tigerotor77W

Tigerotor77W LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Germany

KPS: got photos? I'd loved to have seen that... oh well. Maybe when school is over. :(
  6. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

I think the 257B was generally considered a POS. Weighed too much, too little power, the track system is over taxed resulting in accelerated wear.

I don't think enough of the B2 machines are out to say the issues have been addressed. Depending on what you do with them you will either love them or hate them, seems to be the general consensus.

CAT isn't releasing a solid undercarriage because they have extra R&D money laying around. The current suspended machine works great in some applications and is very costly to run in others. Most CAT rental stores around here will not rent you a MTL. You get a wheeled machine with VTS. CAT themselves does not want to absorb the cost of running their own suspended machine, but they have no problem selling them to others. It is certainly a buyer be educated kinda deal. I think the word has generally gotten out. The resale on the B series MTL's are rock bottom.
  7. qps

qps LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

257B....run away from this machine as fast as you can...B2 I hear good things about...my 297C...no problems....:weightlifter:

GCRDFW LawnSite Member

I work at a CAT dealer and we have not seen any problems with the B2 series. I can't even recall seeing one in our shop. We have delivered several of the B2 series machines no complaints. Keep in mind the late model B series have all of the updates on them.
  9. ConstSvcs

ConstSvcs LawnSite Senior Member

Hmmmm very interesting info here. I'm starting to think that the ASV track system is not best for our soils here in CT.
  10. GCRDFW

GCRDFW LawnSite Member

I would not recommend this track system to someone who is in rock or on concrete a majority of the time. Just as an overall the B2 series seem to be holding up very well.