Your opinion on tiny yard estimate

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GarPA, Jan 23, 2003.

1. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

End town home...3000ft of turf total, 5 minutes from my biz location, ten minutes of trimming. Would have to use a 21 since 1000ft backyard is inside a vinyl fence with a very small gate.

I dont have anything this small and rarely bid on them so your opinion is appreciated....particularly if you are in PA.

This is a new community which I wouild like to get into so thats why I'm even considering it....this is one of those where the local kid will mow it for peanuts....but customer does not want to go that route. Thanks much

2. mmacsek

mmacsek LawnSite Senior Member

I normally don't cut the small ones anymore but I do have some. I have 2 about 5 minutes from my house. I use my 48" walk behind and takes me about 30 minutes for the 2 properties including load and unload. I charge 25 dollars each. The plus side is I got extra work. This is also a new area . It's still being built. If it's along a route I would probably bid it. What part of Pa. are you from? I'm from Easton. Not to get off the subject, but I was looking for someone from Pa. to ask what the state allows us to charge for bounced checks. You can email me at mmacsek@enter.net Hope this helps. Matt

3. Ground Master

Ground Master LawnSite Senior Member

well, just give them your price. I would say, "althought your lawn is very small my minimum charge is XX". You could even go on to say that if you were hired by so many of the neighbors that you could reduce the price by so much.

4. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Do you have a minimum? Right now do 1 at my minumum of $20 and that's only becasue she in route and been with me for awhile. Otherwise my minimum is $30. It would be sweet if you can get about 15-20 small ones set up in one area.

MATT

5. Lawn Dog2001

Lawn Dog2001 LawnSite Bronze Member

Charge whatever your minimum is. Our minimum price is $25. So we would charge $25. Even if it only takes you 10 min to mow, you still have to load and unload the truck. There is alos time involved dealing with the customer.

mmacsek
    I believe the maximum returned check fee in PA is $25.

6. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I would have to ask, "how much do I want this?" Then I would charge accordingly taking into account the potential of getting other business in this neighborhood.

Hope that helps some...

7. GarPA

from PA

well thats my problem...my minimum to pull up in front of your house is $40....no less...I always try to recoup one way travel time and until you park, unload, do the work and load, you often spend 30 to 40 minutes easily...I ALWAYS agonize over LITTLE estimates....I think my problem is I'd like to get 10 or so accounts in this easy to do development, but I dont want to go below what I know my minimum needs to be....but the yard is a postage stamp...oh well...I'll stick to my minimum....one of you guys had a great comment last year...."if you're getting every job you bid on, you aren't charging enough"....well said

8. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

I'd pass over this lawn, only because of the gate. But if you want it, I'd have to charge $25- $30.

9. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I agree, just charge your minimum. Because once you start lowering your prices just for some lawns you will actually be losing money the time it takes to unload and load.

Can you fit a 32" through the gate?

10. GarPA

from PA

Tiedeman...yes a 32 will fit but I dont own one...been trying to talk myself into buying one because they are perfect for this kind of property....been looking at a Ferris hydro 33"...just can't bring myself to spend another $2500 though...my other mowers are both too big for small properties...obviously by my question here you can tell I dont do small properties but if I'm going to I need the right equipment to maximize productivity