Your opinion on why my oil plug was loosened.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mr. Magpie, Aug 8, 2005.

1. Mr. Magpie

Mr. Magpie LawnSite Senior Member

I did my first oil change on my mini fastrack (16HP Honda) a little while ago and the plug was already loosened. Basically ready to vibrate out in the next couple hours, however, no oil had leaked out (we had been checking the level).

Now, the truth is unattainable here, but who thinks this is normal, and who thinks maybe the dealer was trying something funny with me?
  2. PsRumors

PsRumors LawnSite Member

Sounds like a torque mishap. I would not "blame" the dealer unless there are other reasons.
  3. Mr. Magpie

Mr. Magpie LawnSite Senior Member

Yes, but is this normal? How many people have purchased equipment where the most important torque on the whole machine is loose?!
  4. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

I think your dealer was gonna pull a fast one. new mower, loose oil plug--it wouldn't have been his fault and warranty wouldn't have covered it.

I'm gonna go check my oil plug right now!

GEO :dizzy:
  5. greendave

greendave LawnSite Member

Oh, PULEEEZE.......... Do you really, truly believe that??????
  6. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

I think he was being sarcastic.
  7. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

of course not. but I love good conspiracy theories.

GEO :waving:
  8. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

I once bought a brand new snowmobile and the bolt holding the track on was half way out. I noticed it as we were unloading it off the trailer. It wouldn't have lasted 100 feet before ripping the track to shreds. Poor dealer setup in my mind.
  9. gorknoids

gorknoids LawnSite Senior Member

on steroids while making millions of dollars a year. I imagine that the ODPIATCT (Oil Drain Plug Installation And Torque Checker Technician) should be permitted the occasional oversight.
    Caveat emptor.
  10. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

LOL I can hear Dale Gribble from King Of The Hill saying "Certainleeee. It's all part of "the machine". :laugh: