1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Your opinions are greatly appreciated?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by triadncman, Feb 9, 2003.

1. triadncman

triadncman LawnSite Member

I recently posted a message seeking opinions on which ZTR to choose. I had narrowed it down to 4 at the time and all of your input was greatly appreciated. Here are the four mowers I was considering along with price ive been quoted and distance to dealer.

1.) Exmark Lazer Z HP....52"/23hp Kaw....$7100....30 miles
    2.) Grasshopper 200......52"/20hp Koh.....$6700....30 miles
    3.) Toro Z 100 ...........52"/19hp Kaw....$6550.....10 miles
    4.) D C X2001-50..........50"/20hp Koh.....$7200.....25 miles

I took the advice of JohnHenry and sought out a Hustler Dealer and found I had one 10 miles away. I would also like to say the Toro dealer I listed also reps Exmark and Grasshopper but he is $500 higher on the exmark, and $1000 higher on the Grasshopper than the dealer 30 miles away. I havent had a chance to get to the DC dealer and I probably should. The Hustler Z 52" w/ 23hp kaw was 6499.00 list. I am definitely adding it to my list, it seemed really durable compared to some others. I have now narrowed my search to these three but am wondering about your opinion on the following items.

1.) Exmark $7100
    2.) Hustler $6499
    3.) Dixie Chopper $7200

I understand they are all really good and each has an edge somewhere but in your opinion who has the:

Best Customer Service
    Best Warranty
    Best quality of cut
    Most durable
    Most speed
    Least Problems

For the money ! Im thinking that if the Hustler is at least near to the others in all these catagories that the $600 - $700 savings is pretty substantial and makes it a wise choice. Please let me know if you feel it is a mistake and why.

I am sifting through hundreds of threads over the last 3 days and seen many opinions but not based on these criteria only.

Thanks to all
  2. Husker1982

Husker1982 LawnSite Senior Member

You get that mainly through your dealer. You should ask some other LCO about service at dealers. Or go talk to the guy that is head of the service and a salesman. You can learn alot from just talking to them. Ask about a replacement for your down time.
    This is easy just call and ask the dealer what the warranties are or go the the websites.
    Don't ask that here cause you will get favortism. Go demo go demo go demo. I know others have told you to do so.
    Big concern that lays in your lap. I mean if it is a commercial unit for the most part it is usually gonna have decent standards. The main thing is how inclined are you to fix things and how well you maintain them.
    Again demo. I will catch some shi* for this but the speed in my opinion is not a big deal. Yes you want to be fast but I am all for quality. I know that your machine goes 12 mph and mine goes 10 mph but we both probably mow at 7. See what I am saying.
    This is the same as durability. Keep them maintained very well. They are to big of an investment not too.

To answer these questions you ask all you will get are alot of one sided opinions. Like it has been said a thousand times before Demo, Demo, Demo.
  3. Phishook

Phishook LawnSite Bronze Member

True, but just wondering. How is the quality of cut from a DC at higher speeds? I haven't ever mowed with one, though it seems the grass would stand up faster in a open deck like DC has, especially with the adjustable leading edge of the deck. Or even one of the JD's that have that 7 Iron deck.

But anyway, I'm going to get prices this week on a Hustler 60". Hope I can prices as good as yours. :D

Check out the accessories too. I'm liking the look of Hustlers vac. But not to sure about the parking brake incorporated into the steering.:(
  4. baddboygeorge

baddboygeorge LawnSite Bronze Member

GET A SCAG!!
  5. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

There is no doubt in my mind that if I were in your shoes I would buy the Hustler. Why?....

#1 - I'm really impressed with Hustler's equipment
    #2 - The dealer is 10 miles away (more for the $ than Toro)
    #3 - From what I've read here the customer support is great
    #4 - The price is great

I am in NC, PLEASE, What Hustler dealer are you speaking of? That price is WAY better than what I was quoted! Price and dealer location is all that has kept me away from Hustler.

Oh, even though you have eliminated the GH 220/52. That price was too high anyways. My dealer list them at $6,299 and you could haggle from there I guess...
  6. thartz

thartz LawnSite Senior Member

Good price on the Hustler;my dealer is selling for 6716.00 b4 tax.
  7. Which has the most horsepower on it, buy it!!!!!
  8. Husker1982

Most hp???? Are you doing mainly residentials triad? If you are you want good power but you can over do the weight. A good residential mower would be 23/52,54 or 19/48. The more hp the heavier. The heavier it is the more ability it has of doing damage to a lawn.
  9. Well since a Kohler from about an 18 to a 23 weighs the same then I guess your statment is false.

Kohlers are mainly done by carb jetting.

And adding a few extra pound is not different then a full tank of gas and a a half tank of gas.
  10. Husker1982

Well since you need more than just an engine the frame and deck make a difference as well. I am not talking about the engine alone. The unit as a whole. Not sure anyway about what you said but I know that the weight difference between the 19 Kawi and a say 25 Kawi is not a big difference but becomes bigger with like I said the frame and deck difference.