1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Your opinions on correct machine for my expansion?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by SoloSulkySurfer, May 16, 2007.

1. SoloSulkySurfer

SoloSulkySurfer LawnSite Member

Currently I am cutting 35-40 lawns a week in the 1/6 acre range. I am also a full time student, but have the time to take on more lawns. I have built a good relationship with an extremely successful family of Realtors that sell homes in a high end area about 20 mins. away. They have been giving my cards away without end for the last week and the calls are coming in.
    Currently I have a 48" bobcat WB and a 33" WB and looking to buy a larger piece of equipment. My budget is around $3,000 since I have college bills to pay as well. I also am not really into financing purchases. I also plan to stay solo for the lawn cutting, especially after last weeks torturous trial of a helper. Like I said my lawns now are smaller but the lawns in the other area are from 1/4-1/2 acre.
    So do I upgrade to a hydro WB with a sulky, Stander type mower, or zero turn ride on mower. Obviously I would have to buy anywhere from slightly used for the WB to a more heavily used ride on. I figure I need a mower at least 48" but leaning more towards a larger 52-60". Give me some suggestions on brands to for a larger mower and what to look for as far as feature go (full suspension seat, hydro pump size etc.)
  2. Allens LawnCare

Allens LawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

Good luck with $3000....Try Ebay.....for another $1500-$2000 you can get a new Exmark Phazer
  3. SoloSulkySurfer

bump bump bump
  4. deerex

deerex LawnSite Member

Sell your 48 wb take that money plus your 3000 and get the best 52 lazer hp you can afford.
  5. OMG

OMG LawnSite Senior Member

Always go with a ZTR if possible.

We no longer accept accounts that require anything other than a ZTR.

If a ZTR can't do it, it better be a small enough area that a weedeater will.

In fact, we've finally weeded it down to ONE lawn (customer's lawn has been with us since the first year, but over two owners) that requires a WB in the back fenced in area (about 15 minutes). :waving:

It's made everything in the whole organization easier, attitudes better, etc.

Did I mention I have 1 account I will give someone? :laugh:
  6. SoloSulkySurfer

Thanks for the advice guys. I just saw an add for a 2 year old 150 hrs. 48" tiger cub with a 19 hp KAWI. He is asking $4400. I might check into it further.
  7. jeepflexin

jeepflexin LawnSite Member

hows a 61 inch front mount diesel Grasshopper sound? I have 2 hoppers that I am considering letting go. 928D and a 721D
  8. SoloSulkySurfer

Do you have more info on them (hours and price)?
  9. jeepflexin

jeepflexin LawnSite Member

the 721D I will let go for $3,000 it has about 1800 hours (aprox) its a 1995 its older but runs very well.

the 928D2 I would like to see $7500.00 it is a 1998 with 1300 hours (aprox)
    it has the power lift deck.

both machines just serviced, all fluids and belts changed I need to put new caster bushings ( i have them just not installed) on the mower of 721. the drive tires are less then 50 % worn . and the head lights do not work on the 721D

I also have a leaf / bagger system for the 928D2 that i would sell for an extra $500.00

I think I will only sell one machine but have not decided which a buyer for one would help me here.

If interested I can be reached at 302-218-7712 ~Pete~