Your opinions on Echo vs. Stihl

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lee b, Nov 18, 2002.

1. lee b

lee b LawnSite Fanatic

I'm going to buy a split boom trimmer, with the pole saw attachment this week. Local dealer has the Fs 85 split boom {$350.00} trimmer with pole saw {199.00} for $581.94 with tax. Alamia has the Echo SRM2400 split boom trimmer {$310.00} with pole saw {$185.00} for a total of $495.00. I have never owned anything made by Echo, I like Stihl and the dealer is good, but for $86.00 difference, what would you do?
  2. GLS

GLS LawnSite Bronze Member

Do you have an Echo dealer nearby? If not, definetely go with Stihl.
  3. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

I have a FS80R, which is a 85RT but not split boom and uses a cable instead of a shaft, so basically same engine and head, and it's great. I also have a Echo SRM2400SB with hedge trimmer head, it's pretty good too. I don't have the trimmer for it, I got it used with only the ext. hedger on it. I think the carb needs adjusted it doesn't sound fast enough I will tinker with it. Also I have an Echo HCR1500 hedge trimmer. The Echo's start first or second pull usually for me, the Stihl will on the second if you reach for the choke quick to unchoke it. All good machines.
    Now this is only second or third hand info here, please search it before you beleive me, but I have HEARD of only a few problems with Echo, but really not any with Stihl. Now I know this is like eXmark/Dixie Chopper stuff, each just as good as the other and no one agrees, and as I said, dont' take my word for it. I don't remember what the problems were, but I dont' think it was anything serious enough to prevent you from buying these machines. Also, is the FS85 and the SRM2400 pretty comparable? Seems like the SRM2400 might be alittle smaller than a FS85, I don't know for sure. I do know that Echo makes a larger machine though.
    Good luck,
  4. rkbrown

rkbrown LawnSite Senior Member

When I was in the market for a new trimmer in May, I tried both the Echo 260 and the Stihl FS-80 (comparably sized engines). I felt that the Stihl had more power and was better balanced. I also picked up a backpack blower on my same visit to the dealer. I looked at the Echo PB-602 and the Stihl BR420. I came home with the Echo as it felt like it had better power.
  5. Andrew S

Andrew S LawnSite Member

Sorry Guys, but I would choose Shindawa hands down,I have six different units from brushcutters,hedgetrimmers & blowers and they have all been very reliable with limited maintenance required from my dealer.:D :waving:
  6. AltaLawnCare

AltaLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

Like BHB said, if you're quick to knock off the choke, the stihl will crank on the second pull.

I've looked at Robin, I think that will be my next trimmer. They are very smooth, light weight, and te shield is adjustable ...
    its clamped on the shaft, so it could be raised up.

TWINTREESLAWN LawnSite Member

I bought the stihl split shaft with the chain saw att. this past summer I really like the unit. Great power and starting is easy. My buddy has echo trimmers and loves them. I did the same as you had done and relized that the echo sells for cheaper but I'm still happy with stihl. I have never owned Stihl before. Steve:D