your opinions on new truck

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by ManleyLawn, Dec 2, 2003.

1. ManleyLawn

ManleyLawn LawnSite Member

hey everyone i have recently found a 1985 Chevy C-30 12 ft stakebody. it has a 350 motor in it and a 2 speed trans... interior is ok... dash has a few cracks in it..... the exterior as far as the cab is ok. needs a little paint and has a few small spots of surface rust... the stakebody itself is in poor condition... the sides are very beat and mangled and the floor of it has several rust holes in it... there is only a hydraulic lift gate the stake body does not dump... for the price 1200.00 i think it would be worth picking it up for a back up truck and for the days i have to go to the landfill etc. etc. the truck itself has 81,000 miles on it. the rear tires are about 75% the front tires need replaced. it runs, it drives, but is it worth it? your opinions are appreciated and thanks ahead of time for your replies.... Kevin
  2. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

wrong forum
  3. ManleyLawn

thanks for the post jwingfield2k. sorry:)
  4. HarryD

HarryD LawnSite Bronze Member

How about a pic of it. one mans junk is another mans treasure
  5. ManleyLawn

we are most likely going to night to go pic it up. if we do i'll try posting it.
  6. bayfish

bayfish LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like something that you could make a project out of. I recently bought a 1988 Ford f350 flatbed 8x12 with a diesel. Same type of condition. Took me about 3 months to get it the way I wanted it. Inside was perfect though. It's a 5 speed and runs great. I had to put about $2500 into it including paint job, but very happy with it. May sound like a lot, but have you looked at prices for new ones with diesel? $32,000 just chassis and cab. For a total of $4500, this truck will last me a long time. It's outside now loaded with 8 yrds of mulch that I need to install tomorrow morning.
  7. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

I'd go for it. Especially if its just a back up truck. From the my very first day of business, I've had older trucks that I have to make and run better. The newest truck i've had so far was '90!! I just bought a '84 dodge dump in good shape, but I'll still have to do little things to make it better. If anyone remembers any of my posts recently, I know I talk about this truck alot, I'm just excited cuz its my first dumptruck, and I heard its a whole new ballgame once you have one!! I bought this truck for $3000 w/ plow. I already ordered and received the stainless steel wheel inserts, and and custom diamond plate for the bed. With the lettering, the grand total is $3329. Truck looks and runs great. I'd love a new truck, but i can wait.
  8. bayfish

bayfish LawnSite Senior Member

FGA, That dodge looks like a 2 wheel drive. How does it do plowing or have'nt you tried it yet.
  9. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

I myself have never plowed with it, but the guy I bought it off was a buddy of mine, who I used to pay $400 a night to plow for me using this truck :D (already making money). He used to put a yard of anything in the bed....once loaded it up with snow $0, just add some weight to the back, along with tire chains, worked out fine. I'll find out for myself how it handles in the snow soon enough. Even if it doesn't handle the best, i figured i could go hit my parking lot accounts a few times so the snow doesn't get out of hand, here they kep the city roads pretty clear, so I feel pretty good, especially since i don't have to pay by the night for the help.
  10. Potchkins

Potchkins LawnSite Senior Member

baybfish ...
    does it dump
    how much did
    you have to give?

as i am looking
    at a 89' F-Superduty
    12'4"x96" flat bed
    7.3 non turbo 5-sp