your outa your mind!!

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by mattfromNY, Jul 6, 2006.

1. mattfromNY

mattfromNY LawnSite Bronze Member

I got the customer of the day today!! He called, told me he needs an estimate on some hedge trimming. No problem, got done at a decent rate tonight, went out and looked at 144 feet of hedges, 7 feet to the top. runs along an iron fence, hedge growing through the fence, need to work off of ladders, etc. Wants all new growth taken off, square up the sides, nice flat top, remove all debris, etc.
    The guy has some other work to do this fall, so I figured I'd get a good repor by giving him a deal and only charge him $400, minus a 10% senior citizen discount (still too cheap, but maybe I'll get work later)...
    He tells me "your outa' your f&*&&'in mind:dizzy: , I can get them cut for $35.00!, its a two hour job!" I told him I want the phone number to the guy who can do a professional job on that much hedge for $35.00, he has a job with me starting tomorrow!
    Just had to share the laugh of the day... :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

2. TURF DOCTOR

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

No way you can cut in two hours man that's a lot of hedge,never sell your work for work in the future.

3. mattfromNY

mattfromNY LawnSite Bronze Member

Like I said, I'd hire the guy that can do a PROFESSIONAL job on that hedge in two hours, he'd make me lots of cash!!! Good advice on the selling future work. It never really seems to pan out, now that I think about it.

4. gqnine44

gqnine44 LawnSite Senior Member

Another reason to avoid senor citizens in the first place. He could get it done for $35 when they were just installed back in the Roosevelt adminstration.

5. gqnine44

gqnine44 LawnSite Senior Member

Another reason to avoid senor citizens in the first place. He could get it done for $35 when they were just installed back in the Roosevelt adminstration.

6. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Yea I thing we got that. I don't avoid older people . Heck 89% of my income comes from older people.
    Never sell a job for the promise or prospect of future work. It does pan out many times and so?
    Your gonna get the future work anyway if you do a good job and charge a fair price.