Your Own Kids Mowing

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Green in Idaho, Nov 16, 2003.

1. Green in Idaho

Green in Idaho LawnSite Senior Member
    from Idaho

After reading the thread on Is Your Yard up to Snuff I'm wondering about y'all having your own kids mow your personal lawns.

Lawns and Mower wrote of his 11yo making figure eights ( I can empathize L& M)
    and JBLawn wrote of his kids 16 & 12 preening their HUGE grass monster.

My 11 yo mowed a neighbors lawn this year with my assitance. The whole time he kept missing pieces, (mohawk stripes) and of course the lines were well not exactly straight....;) But I was at a loss as for what to do. The balance of advice and just accepting it. So I ended up doing a little of both. He has mowed the family lawn several times as chores but mowing the family lawn is a "who cares" deal? Stepping onto someone's lawn ought to be a little more attention to detail and such esp when getting paid for it. So my plan next year is to coach a little more on his technique on the family lawn and expect it to carry over to the any future neighbor lawns.

So for those of you with young uns in the "learning to mow" ages, what do you do about it?

And what do the teens on here think about it? Like when you mowed your own family lawn for the first season.....

2. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Contact the people your kids mow for and explain that your trying to teach good work ethics and you would appreciate if they pointed out the problems with the results and hold back some $ until its done right. Kids will always listen to someone else before there parents

3. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

Actually, two of my kids started helping me a couple years ago at the age of 12. They got good with every peice of my equipment I own. Then they found out they can make their own money cutting lawns on our street. Now the earn $100 a week on their own and it saves my wife and I lots on doe as they buy their own stuff and dont ask us for much. The oldest daughter never mowed (too prissy) and now she is 16. She thinks money grows on trees. When my wife and I told her "get a job if you want your own car" she acted like it was the end of the world. Still no job. Still no car.

4. Shuter

Shuter LawnSite Bronze Member

My kids love to help mow the yard. Oldest wants to start trimming and the youngest loves the handheld blower.

5. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

kids working on their own for extra cash is ok, but, if they are working for a company and are under age 14, you may want to check your state's child labor laws.

6. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

My Son is 11........only problem is he's 65 pounds soaking wet. I'm waiting for the day I can get a trimmer in his hands or a blower on his back. So far all he's done is ride the 72" on the back lot......he does look a little funny on the big mower!

7. Shuter

Shuter LawnSite Bronze Member

When I say my kids help out it is at home, not a customer property.

8. SuperShovel

SuperShovel LawnSite Member

Teach your 11 year old to appreciate the beauty of the end result the way you do it and it may help to get him on the right track faster and easier.

When I was a kid I mowed the lawn so it didn't get a foot tall. I had no clue it was supposed to look a certain way and we lived in the country so I didn't care. And if someone paid me I would have thought they wanted me to get it all cut as fast as possible.

9. Green in Idaho

Green in Idaho LawnSite Senior Member
    from Idaho

Good points Super Shovel & Old Dir. Thnks.

10. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic