Your pic on your flyer?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by KathysLGC, Jan 4, 2005.

1. KathysLGC

KathysLGC LawnSite Bronze Member

Just wondering if any one uses there picture on their flyer instead of clip art? What i'm talking about is a simple pic of you on your mower in your uniform or something like that. Something professional looking. Reason this thought is coming to my head is because there is so much comp over here and there are tons of illegals screwing things up for those that want to succeed in this business. What's your thought on this?

2. ztoro

ztoro LawnSite Senior Member

I dont put pictures of me in my flyers but I always use my equipment and properties I maintain... Some Clip art looks a little cheesy.....

3. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

Sounds like a good idea to me, and if a manucured green landscape is easily seen in that picture it would add to the equation. You only get one first impression. People don't like surprises and a picture answers a lot of questions in a short time.

4. KathysLGC

Yeah I thought about pictures of properties but then i thought what if the potential client thinks it's a stolen pic? My other thought was a pic of me working on a property. One half completly done the other half waiting to be done. I would stop the mower half way on the lawn, trim/edge clean up the edge thats done, set up the camera, get back on the mower to give a before/after or soon to be shot.
    BTW these are just ideas running through my head LoL

5. KathysLGC

Dish thats what I'm talking about. A pic that shows a professional landscaper. Clean cut and in uniform. I remember going to a new clients place to cut the lawn and they came out asking me who i was... I'm like remember I gave you an estimate last week.......

6. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

Sounds like a pretty good idea.

When I first saw the title to this thread, I was thinking, "Oh, great. Here's a guy who wants to see his face everywhere, like those realtors and insurance guys who gotta have their picture all over town." But reading your reasoning, I think it's probably a good idea.

If it's difficult for the consumer in your area to find a professional, clean-cut guy to work for them, then this makes it real clear from the get-go that you are just what they are looking for. Seems like a good idea. Give it a shot!

7. naturescaretaker

naturescaretaker LawnSite Senior Member

Pictures are good BUT...... I would never put myself in the picture. Before we sold I liked having the advantage of walking on a property and looking at progress/work being made and then introduce myself. It allowed me to walk around without the people seeing me and knowing who I was. It was on my timeline when they found out.

Advantage, what happens if you show up and the customer sees you. They will run right out to talk to you. Now this is not a bad thing unless you see something real wrong and want to correct it before it becomes an issue with the customer.

As a solo LCO now I still would not put my picture out. What if someone saw me in a restaurant eating lunch but the truck was just out of site. They decided to steal something while I am sitting there.... because they know it's me from my picture on the flyer.

My 2 cents is that a picture of someone other then the owner working, clean cut and in uniform... professional looking is fine.

8. jccordes2

jccordes2 LawnSite Member

Playboy,
    I'm in your shoes as we speak!. I've been told by some pretty good business owners that that's the new way to promote a professional business whether it's lawncare, realestate, restraunt owner.......etc. I plan on taking a close up picture with a rake in my hand with equipment in the background for flyers and a close up of just me for Business cards. Now the real question is how much will this cost??
    I was just about to post a thread with some advice as to who to use to print these cards and flyers........I.E Kinkos? Officemax? Office depot? local print shop?
    that's my next post.

Jeff

9. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

When I think of pictures for advertising, I think of real estate or insurance ads. There is one guy here locally, out of 40 or 50 LCO's advertised in the YP that uses his picture. He has used that same ad for the last 3 years or longer. I kinda laugh everytime is see it. He is all dressed up in a suit and is wearing a tie. It's under the category of lawn maintenance and most of his business is doing chep apps. I shouldn't laugh because if he hasn't changed that add in the last 3 or 4 years, means he is doing some right (well, at least it usually means that).

10. jccordes2

jccordes2 LawnSite Member

I'm not talking about in a suite and tie, I think that's a little over doing it!!!
    I'm talking about a good picture in your short sleeve polo shirt with your logo on it. looking down to earth, ready to work. in every business, what sells???
    Image!!!!