Your Policies

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnranger44, Feb 14, 2002.

1. lawnranger44

lawnranger44 LawnSite Senior Member

What are your guys's policies on these things, such as: if there's a drought and the lawn may not need mowed, who determines if you mow or not?
    if it rains on monday (for example) do you push the rest of the week's schedule back or do you mow monday's lawn at the end of the week?

Any other important policies for situations such as these?
  2. LawnLad

LawnLad LawnSite Senior Member

Since we're the professionals - and the customers hire us to determine what's best for their lawn... we make those decisions. Or our foreman on site will.

If we're in a drought and there is no irrigation system, we'll do a drive by. If we can find bed maintenance or other billable work, we'll still get work done at the customers property. We just won't cut the lawn.

As for rain days... we work Monday through Friday. So we will cut in the rain, unless it's so bad we can't. Then we double up to get done by Friday. We front load our weeks schedule and lighten up at the end of the week to take care of extras... so extras get pushed back and just the grass gets cut if we're behind. We don't push back to Saturday. In some cases, we've cut a Friday house on Monday if the whole week was wet.
  3. kerr lawn

kerr lawn LawnSite Member

if it rains monday then it sucks for us on tuesday, but we get what had to be done mon first and then move on tuesday, then sometimes that gets pushed into wed and so and so on. If it rains for more than a day, i have rested some more and i use every bit of energy i got and i go from 7:30-8 till dark till things for the week are done.
    when the grass starts growing in early to mid april, it doesn't stop growing until august maybe, then picks back up in sept-oct/nov. So we really don't have to worry about ppl saying don't cut my grass, if they don't want it cut then they better call me. Or else we still cut it and i still get my money.
  4. PAPS

PAPS LawnSite Senior Member

if we miss a day due to rain... I'll usually throw that days schedule on the next day and add another guy or two to that crew and tell them to hammer them out and don't come back till there all done.
  5. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

Well rain is just a natural thing here in Oregon. So we mow in it all the time. Although it's never really bad. It just drizzles here and there. If there's a severe thunder storm (they are rare and only last 10-15 minutes) the guys just hang out in the truck until it stops.

As for drought, that doesn't happen here much. But even so, 95% of our clients either have an irrigation system or are careful to water their lawns frequently with above ground sprinklers. That's the nice thing about working in newer, upper class neighborhoods.

We mow every day, every week, and never skip a lawn.
  6. RB

RB LawnSite Senior Member

I mow on Mon, Tue & Wed. If it rains I just delay Mon.'s work til., Tue, and so forth. This is my 4th year in biz and I always finished my work by Friday. (I'm solo and have about 45 lawns). This past year was the first year I mowed every lawn at 21/2" all season, compared to 3" the years before. In the spring (mowing at 21/2") it seemed to make it a little easier. Maybe it was my immagination.

For drought conditions I just skip. I avg. 26 cuts in a 32 week season. This season I'm going w/ contracts so I'm hoping I can "grease" a little and get by with 23 or 24 cuts. When I skip a week I do usually weed whack and edge and maybe spray some roundup or pull some weeds in beds.

7. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

My policy is very simple. I make the decisions! Its my equipment and business. If it gets overgrown due to the customer wanting to call the shots it puts extra wear on the machines. Its my way or the highway. I'm not rude about it with the customers, but I don't tolerate it either.
  8. augs dad

augs dad LawnSite Member

Somewhere I read or heard that you should not mow b4 or after certain hours...thats easier said than there in fact a guideline for residential mowing? thanks much...How about Saturday mowing if its been a rainy week? Gary
  9. AL Inc

AL Inc LawnSite Bronze Member

65 Hoss- I like your way of thinking; Aug's Dad, I think when it comes to noise, it is something that varies from town to town. Where I work, it is 8 a.m. to 7 p.m. during the week, and 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. weekends. I've never seen these laws enforced, as we do have to bend the rules sometimes. There are actually some snobby communities on the north shore that want to ban all gas powered blowers altogether! So I can live with the restrictions I have here. Your best bet would be to check the local laws in your area. Mike

LAWNS AND MOWER LawnSite Bronze Member

65 Hoss- I operate the same way. I'll put them on a schedule and that's it. If it's during a drought, I'll decide whether it needs mowing or not unless the customer calls before their scheduled day and tells me to skip that week. Don't you love it when you pick up a new acct and the person makes the comment " Should I call you when it's ready to be mowed?" Good grief, I have 60 accts. Could you imagine if every person had to call to get their yard mowed? I have all my customers trained pretty good!!!

PS AL Inc check your private messages!!!!