1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Your policy on drugs at work.

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by Lawn Masters, Mar 9, 2006.

1. Lawn Masters

Lawn Masters LawnSite Senior Member

Just curious, I've seen a few guys around here that are LCOs who I've seen doing all sorts of illegal stuff. I even worked with one once, before I found out about their "habits" on break. do you have a zero tolerance policy to drugs, and alcohol on duty?

people who do drugs, just scare me somehow, alcoholics I'm used to, but dont like much.

JKOOPERS LawnSite Bronze Member

i worked for a co that everyone there smoked pot except for me . sometimes i felt like i had a contact from riding in the truck . i always ask them how in hell does that feel good to cough like that ? :hammerhead: :hammerhead: if i was coughing that bad i would go to a doctor. :)
  3. wissel_landscaping

wissel_landscaping LawnSite Senior Member
    from ohio

I worked for a co. also where i was the only who didnt smoke the guys would be coughing like crazy i would tell them sounds like your having fun...lol
  4. Chunkster27

Chunkster27 LawnSite Member

I'm not a business owner but if I found out that one of my guys was doing either or....drugs/alcohol on the job they would be gone. Can you imagine a customer coming out to ask an employee a question when they are stoned off their arse?? Really makes a great impression of your business..... Drug testing before hiring would hopefully take care of this problem. :cool2:
  5. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

Who would want their employees smoking pot, drinking or shooting up and then operating equipment or driveing a company truck? Sounds crazy to me. An accident looking for a place to happen. I have workmans comp as required but I have no plan on using it if it would be for damage by something that stupid! It's Insane...and as was stated before...bad for you company image!
  6. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

In my day, when I was in the field the drug policy was if you had some you have to share. Nowadays too much liability and the stuff is much more potent. I remember one year 82-83 around new years the lunch truck girls had pot brownies and long Island ice teas in the cooler, and they were giving them away. Needless to say that was a short day.
  7. 6'7 330

6'7 330 LawnSite Bronze Member

Zero Tolerance,And it has always mystified me why people need the artificial inducement, of dope.I have better methods of getting a rush.
  8. Green-Pro

Green-Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

It won't be tolerated.

End of story
  9. Lawn Masters

Lawn Masters LawnSite Senior Member

Thats what I have to say too. to me, my rush is adrenaline from bringing trees down for the boss, which makes me happy. that and chucking logs into the chipper.

if ya need dope to make ya happy at work, I'll send ya packing faster than most people can blink.
  10. MarcusLndscp

MarcusLndscp LawnSite Senior Member

We have pre employment testing and random alcohol/drug testing every month. All guys with CDL's have random testing through the state so they're not subject to company testing except for pre employment