your preferred sun screen?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by chefj, Aug 17, 2014.

1. chefj

chefj LawnSite Senior Member

I had a small bout with basal cell carcinoma a few years back and am prone to have more in the future. Obviously sunscreen is a big factor for me in the hot Georgia sun. What is your preferred brand/type?

2. promowlawncareinc

promowlawncareinc LawnSite Member

I did some checking into sunscreens before the season started. There are basically two different types of sunscreen. The is a chemical type I think it is titanium dioxide and zinc oxide that refracts uv rays before being absorber by your skin and an organic based on chemical called oxybenzone that absorbs the rays before they burn your skin. It seems there is little known about the long term effects of either on your skin but, apparently there is a link to genetic damage in children with the oxybenzone and skin cancer with titanium and zinc oxide. That being said obviously the risks don't out weigh the benefits. Personally I use a spray on with titanium dioxide as I feel it lasts a little longer and is harder to sweat off. Just my opinion.

3. windflower

windflower LawnSite Bronze Member

4. Will P.C.

Will P.C. LawnSite Senior Member

No Ad Sport SPF 50
    dirt cheap and gets super high reviews from doctors.

Most docs agree anything under 30 is very protective, but differ on opinions when it comes to stuff like spf 70.

I use cerevo spf 30 face moisturizing before I put the real stuff on

5. chefj

How often are you applying? Between jobs, every 4 hours? Once a day?

6. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

Keep in mind almost all cases of skin cancer come from exposure BEFORE the age of 15.

7. chefj

I was in a tanning salon at the age of 16 and was a bodybuilder until 26. I spent 4-5 days a week at the tanning salon. I regret it daily now.

8. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

9. tonygreek

tonygreek LawnSite Gold Member

I would be interested in reading your source material for this.

10. rbljack

rbljack LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

my preferred sunscreen is cloud cover....LOL.....but for back up, we use the bull frog 50 in a pump