your proposal info "rights"

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by jsf343, Mar 7, 2007.

1. jsf343

jsf343 LawnSite Bronze Member

Someone talked about this a few weeks ago ( whoever started it I am sorry I am bringing it up again ) but I can't find it anywhere. Does anyone have certain wording that protects your proposal from being used in bidding wars or from being shared with other companies?
    Like the person who brought this subject up before I feel that I have done a lot of work in preparing my proposal for various commercial properties and I do NOT want it to just be given to some joe lowballer for use in a bidding war or anything else. Let them stand on their own 2 feet, get their own measurements, figure their own time involved, etc. I am looking for some wording that will help protect my bid or proposals, anyone have something they wouldn't mind sharing? pleeeeease?

thanks,
    Jeff

2. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

Personally, I don't care if anyone else sees my bid.

My bid is not affected by any outside influences. I will name my price, and that's the price, period.

If some joe blow lowballer wants to come in and undercut me, then fine, let the customer use them.

I don't see the point of using such wording anyways. If a HOA or Commercial customer wants to tell someone else what you bid, they're going to, regardless of what wording you have in your bid.

3. jsf343

jsf343 LawnSite Bronze Member

Yeah, I know what you are saying but I don't want my bid to be looked at before they do theirs and passed off as public information. Let them do there own figuring. Lets all be on even ground, why should a competitor have a leg up on me or anyone else? Looking at or hearing what we bid is not fair competition. He only needs to hear what we bid and come in $10.00 cheaper. (as an example) see what I am saying? Maybe I am the minority here but if its a nice potential account, I want everything to be on a level playing ground.

4. fiveoboy01

I do see what you are saying as far as someone hearing your price, then just undercutting you by a few bucks.

Problem with these types of people is, when it comes time to do a REAL bid, and they don't know other prices(and I believe some customers will not share competitior's bids), they are going to have zero clue, and their bid will be way off.

But I still say that if the customer wants to share the price to get a lower bid, they're going to do it anyways.

Best thing I can think of is to hold your bid right up until the last possible second, in hopes that all the other bids have been submitted.

5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Here's the other half of the thread and my take on things:
    http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=177988

In summary, they can shop around all they want so long I know nothing about it.

It's only fair, I don't normally tell them that I've got other estimates to give so I need a yes or no and now...
    Thou come to think of it, maybe the next time someone tells me to my face that they're calling around, maybe I say that lol.

Because it is rude.

But if they don't tell me they're doing it or don't let on to it, then chances are they won't shove my info in the next guy's face. That they'll compare prices later in the privacy of their home and let the best man win with no Lco the wiser, this I have no problem with.

6. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

Dont worry about it. These are the type of customers that will switch from a service they are happy with to save $5. Its better to never have gotten the account anyway.

7. JayD

JayD LawnSite Silver Member

Here is a question for you guys,
    Now take in mind that I am new and I am just wondering what you all read into this.
    I just put in a bid to do thirteen locations for a business here. What I did was just added up all the totals and sent them in. She emailed me and said that it all looked good,could you send me prices for each store.
    I think that I understand why she asked for that, is it so she can bill each store accordingly? And do you all think that it sounds like I may have got the job or am i just thinking wrong? What do you think.
    Thanks for your input,
    JayD

8. fiveoboy01

That is likely it. They may want to seperate the billing.

9. JayD

JayD LawnSite Silver Member

But do you think that it sounds like I might have won the bid?:walking:

10. Woody82986

Woody82986 LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

Maybe you are still in the running for it. Or maybe she needed to know what the cost per location was going to be so she could compare it to other bids that were submitted in that manner. Or maybe really did just need an estimated bid per location just for records purposes. It's a good sign that she is requesting more information from you though. It shows interest.