Your regulations

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by GreenQuest Lawn, Mar 24, 2001.

1. GreenQuest Lawn

GreenQuest Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

Ok, Here in Michigan In order to Become a certified applicator you must pay the $50, take the test, pass the test, and you are an applicator.

BUT, in order to become an application company you must

Pay $50 for your pesticide business license and meet one of the requirements below.

Service for not less than 2 years as an employee of 1 or more commercial applicators, or a person with comparable expirience. During which time the employee recieves training and obtains expirience in the application of pesticides under the supervision of a commercial applicator.
    A notorized letter of expirience is required when applying for your business license.

OR

A 4 year degree in a related field of study. And one year of expirience as stated above.

Proof of insurance is also required.

Ok, Heres my question

After reading posts about people "just getting into applying fertilizer and pesticides".

Am I to believe that in some states all you need to do is pass a multiple "guess" test and BAM you can start an application business?

I learned some things from that under qualified test(IMHO) but nothing compared to the real life expirience.

Mabey Michigan laws are tougher than other states

Mabey our test is just too easy. Prompting the need for real hands on expirience.

Mabey it is because our lakes seem so full of pesticides that upon reading the Michigan fish advisory. I find out that most of the fish species are to only be eaten once a week. some once a month. for Pregnant women and children its mostly once per month or not to be eaten at all. Now some of this is from mercury but alot is from pesticides.

Now im not bashing people in other states that can get there license more easily than here. I guess I am for strict laws on pesticide use. Dont get me wrong I am for applying pesticides, just not the abuse. I just can't imagine how someone that reads and passes a test could know all they need to know about this. Its kind of like the "learn at home" trades. Would I hire a carpenter,to build my house, that read a book and got his license, Or an Electrician, I dont think so! How about the Medical Assistant!

I dont know mabey I'm in a bad mood

Mabey i just wanted to write a post as long as Kutnkru :D

Hey what happened to him anyway?

Anyway I would like to hear what you guys have to go through to become a pesticide application firm.

And for the new guys (i know this could be impossible) but expirience is very important. IMHO reading a book is not expirience. If there is anyway for you to at least gain SOME sort of expirience before jumping into pesticide applying would help.

Please excuse any misspelled words (its late)

[Edited by greenquestlawn on 03-24-2001 at 03:14 AM]

2. UrbanEarth

UrbanEarth LawnSite Member

Up in my part of the world, the way it works is as follows:

A licenced applicator may have up to 5 non licenced applicators working under his licence. He is supposed to see them at least once per day, and has to be present at the mixing and application of any Restricted pesticides.

In order to become licenced, a person must have experience (at least one year) and write the exam. However, it was possible for a while to get a probationary licence. This was for people who had little or no experience, but who had passed their exam. What was required was a licenced sponsor willing to support you. This was the route that I followed.

I agree that the exam does not come close to the same kind of learning that the real world provides, but I do think that it is a great place to start.

Some of the people posting may only be applying fertilizer and not herbicides.

Alan

3. tomoaktree

tomoaktree LawnSite Member
    from WNY

Greenquestlawn,
    I have been in the lawncare industry for 15 years. I have never applied fert or pesticides before. I took the exam 2 weeks ago and found out yesterday I passed. I will now be able to use some pesticides if needed. I will not be able to use Restricted use pesticides for 3 years (I think). Not that I really want to use them anyway. Most of the lawns I take care of are pretty healthy so I don't think they will need much pesticides. I only have 5 people who signed up anyway.
    In two weeks I will complete the Landscape Technician Program at Cornell Corp. Ext. (a 3 month, progam-5days a week--5hours a day) I'll be glad when that's done. It was very beneficial.
    Another 6 in. of snow tonite. Won't be applying anything but salt for a while !
    Tom

4. mmorgan

mmorgan LawnSite Member

The pest. test in IL is no easy trip. You need to study and know what you are doing to pass. After the 100 question General Standards test, you have to take endorsement tests, usually 50 or 75 questions. After passing your tests, you should be knowledgable enough to go to work. I feel though that there is no substitute for expereince. With a passing score, proof of insurance, and yes that check to the Ill. Dept. of Ag. you are on your way.

Just my thought: If someone thinks they know it all, they just have all of the knowledge that they can hold because they are full of ****. Education is never ending. Continue to educate yourself everyday. That is how you live to be old and wise!!

5. tomoaktree

tomoaktree LawnSite Member
    from WNY

Hello
    I don't want anyone to get the wrong message from my post. I don't proclaim to know everything or even close to that. That is why I waited so long to start the fertilizer part of the bus. I wanted to get some knowledge of what I was doing first. By taking some courses and passing the pesticide exam , it opened up a door for me to begin. I mean everyone has to start somewhere.I truly realize there is a lot to know in this field and I will continue to take classes and learn as much as I can. There will always be more to learn as things are always changing. With the cost of insurance, the registration and liscence fees, all the paperwork and regulations I'm not sure if it is going to be worthwhile for me.I understand there is a need for these rules, I just never realized how many there would be. In any event it has been a good learning experience for me.
    Tom

6. GreenQuest Lawn

GreenQuest Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

Yes I agree with all of you especially about continuing to learn, (and I for sure dont know everything :D).

UrbanEarth I think that system sounds good. I personally would be glad to help out a new guy, If the situation ever arose.

The test here consists of a core manual (which everyon has to take) and then whatever other catagories you want to be licensed in.(ornamental,turfgrass, Etc) If I remember right the core was 100 questions and the turfgrass was 50 or 75. Same with the ornamental. We also have a weird one its "right of way". I think they have combined this test into the core but this covers things like crack and crevis spraying, city sections (between the sidewalk and street). The only problem with this catagory, when I the test, is that the manual covered things like railroads and the ditches along highways. Absolutly nothing about lawns.

I also attend as many seminars as I can. Here in MI to renew your licence (they expire every three yrs) you can either retake the test or aquire credits from approved seminars. This is the way I took to renew mine. Every hour gives 1 credit (A day of seminars are usually 4 credits). With 8 credits needed for the core and 4 for each sub catagory.

Well from the sounds of it the tests sound more challenging than here. Im not saying the tests are dumb or uninformative, But when you have to pick the right answer from four or five, common sense will weed out up to three or four of the wrong answers and after that its not too hard to pick the right one. Now i will say ,thinking back, There was a few questions on mix rates and area measuring that wre still multiple choise but you had to calculate it to find the right one. So on them there was no easy way out.

Thanks guys for answering

"Success is Never Final"

7. i am down in westchester county new york, where i am is 1 hr north of nyc. by me it isnt even worth gettin the liscence anymore. i mean you have to pay like 300 dollars for a 30 hour course from cornell. you have to be there for every hour of the course. then you have to take 2 tests. then once you take the tests and pass you must send in records for pesticide use every year by the first of february or else you are in trouble. you have to take courses every year to keep certified. what else? now we have this 48 hour adjacent property notification thing goin on. it is more hastles than it is worth. ipm is gonna be the way of the future. cause they are cracking down so much these days that people are just gonna get fined and fined again. you go and say to these people ok i gotta get X dollars per application. now for a big company that is no problem to get a smaller amount and get less money, but for us small guys you gotta get a lot of money to make it worth the hastles. i dunno...

8. jason2

jason2 LawnSite Member

I just took the tests today, and I agree it is a continuing education. I was licsened in North Dakota a few years ago when I was a farmer. And I grew up with a no-tillage program that required extensive use of pesticides.

I'll tell you the test in North Dakota is a joke compared to the test in Washington. I perused the manuals before I took the tests, but I didn't put a lot of time into them.

I feel confident that I passed today, but I'm sure I would have done better with some more study time. It kind of woke me up, and now I'm going to thoroughly digest the manuals, as I feel education in this field is very important.

The requirement for licsening here are to pass a core test, plus tests in your applicable fields. Plus give $170 to the state and show proof of insurance.

I wanted to take the test closer to home, but they are booked through May so I made a 500 mile round trip journey today to take it, and I'm beat. :)

9. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

In AR you take a multiple EPA test and a multiple classification test- turf, ornamentals, insects, indoor outdoor, etc. You can literally have 100's of "agents" on your liscense to spray for you. One company in my state has one liscense, and they honestly have branches all over the state. In my city they run about 10 trucks, and none of the applicators know what they are spraying. This is the absolute truth. They fill up with water and add chemicals from drums marked only by color. it protects thier recipes and keeps the techs dumb. They make beuceaup dollars, and none of thier techs go out on thier own! dave

10. greens1

greens1 LawnSite Senior Member

In Michigan the person doing the apps. must have a apps. licence or you are subject to fines and or jail time, the owner of the company can be fined $5000 and up to a yr in jail. I was the assistant super at a 270 acre golf course and I was told by the a EPA field agent that it didn't matter if you are spraying roundup. If it's a pesticide you need an applicators licence, with the proper catagory cert.
    Jim L