1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Your sales methods?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Bunton Guy, Jun 3, 2003.

1. Bunton Guy

Bunton Guy LawnSite Bronze Member

For those of you who no longer have to cut grass but you do sales all day...What is your daily schedule like ? or weekly schedule? Is it all door to door? Lots of calls? meetings after meetings? Im targeting commercial and residential. Right now im at the point in which I wont have to cut grass seing that 3 guys should be able to do all the work I need at this point.:D But...if I dont get this one account im working on then it will be the end of the season before I can step away from mowing. I just wanted to see which ways you guys tackle this chore of sales and getting in constant new work or new accounts.
  2. AL Inc

AL Inc LawnSite Bronze Member

Bunton- My days are usually a mix of everything. I meet my men at our yard at 6:45, to give them their route lists and make sure all machines are greased and ready to go. When they leave, I usually head back to my office, take care of any paper work, written estimates, etc.
    I don't do a lot of advertising, so most of my new work comes from referrals or from people who see my trucks working in their neighborhood. I finally had my trucks and trailers lettered this year, so I have gotten more calls this year. I would say that I meet 3 or 4 potential new clients a week in the spring, but as the season goes on, it is fewer. So I can't say that sales takes up a LOT of my time.
    I found that it is important to follow up on the men, because unfortunately they don't take the same care that an owner does. So quality control is important. It also gives you the opportunity to meet with your clients, make sure everything is OK, and maybe talk about additional work. I would rather sell to my established clients than chase around new ones.
    Good luck, Mike

LA LAWNS LawnSite Member

I was wondering if you would share some knowledge with me. I understand that you have 3 guys (1 crew) handling the work load.
    Correct? I really want to get off the crew and into the office and sales. What I really want to know is: at what point did you feel you could make the transition from mowing to manager? When did you "cross that bridge"? Catch my drift?

LA LAWNS:confused: :dizzy: :dizzy: :confused:
  4. AL Inc

AL Inc LawnSite Bronze Member

LA, I run 2 crews with 5 men. For me it was a matter of finding two capable drivers who could handle the truck and trailer, and were self sufficient. It was tough, but I felt I had to get away from the crew to progress to the next level. I had been driving the truck every day for about 5 seasons. There were so many things that I couldn't do during the day because I was working. Most of my sales, paperwork, equipment repair, etc, was being done at night and I got a bit burned out.
  5. AztlanLC

AztlanLC LawnSite Bronze Member

As soon as you find yourself getting lots of call is time to step out of the mowing crew, cause I've found that i can make more money driving around and meeting people than mowing lawns all day also it gives you the time to meet new prospects.

But first you gotta have someone you can really depend on and trust, is real easy after you leave your guys alone, work starts to slow down, quality suffers, at the beginning star by taking couple of hours off during the day, at ramdom time, also inspect all the houses they did by themselfs, bring your digittal camera and take shots of stuff that doesn't look right, (clipping in the mulch, missed spots, scalping, etc.) show'em to the guys and ask'em what can be done to correct the problem, you not being there doesn't mean things have to change.

I run crews of 3 (but I preffer 2 sometimes), 2 guys mow and one trimms and blow, depending on the size of the property, the foreman is responsible for the other guy that mows, he has to make sure the lawn looks good, the lines as straigh as posible, no scalping, no tire marks, etc.

The second guy that mows is responsible for trimming and blowing, even tought he usually doesn't perform this tasks, he has to make sure is done correctly.

Contact your customers once a month to make sure things are ok, and see if you can sell'em something extra, ask em if they have any upcoming projects, take note of all the things their property would benefit from, and ask'em if they interested in doing something about it, be prepared with price for the service.

Buy or print templates for proposals and make sure you always bring your measuring wheel,tape, calculator, most of the times I've found that when you give customers a price in the spot you're most likely to get the job, bring pictures of your work.

I usually knock on the door of new houses and introduce myself, (briefly) and leave a business card, don't push it judt tell'em to keep you in mind if they need any of the services you perform, some people says that knocking on doors is a bad business practice but I've found it works real good for me.

Make sure you pay your employees what they deserve, because a happy employee will perform better and will keep customers happy, happy customers want more services and reffer your company to friends, and finally you'll be happy too.

Steeping out of the field doesn't mean to forget about it, it means that you'll have more time for your customers.

Sorry for the long post, but here one example.

My accountant use to be part time, she used to charge about 600-700 dls anually for sales tax, payroll, estimated taxes and so on, then she decided that she was goin to do this full time, she quit her job and then she send me this contract $1,300.00 for the whole year which includes pretty much the same she use to do before, the differnce is that now she is there most of the time to answer any questions, does thigns faster and works with me at any time, that for me is worth the increase and there's a lor customer out ther that think the same as me, just don't forget about your current customers and they won't neither.

LA LAWNS LawnSite Member

Thanks for your reply. I always thought quality helpl would be the biggest problem for me. Getting enough jobs is no problem. I avoid advertising for fear of too much work ( i know how that sounds). So far my trailer seems to land a few phone calls(i will try to attach a photo). I am looking for as much help as possible making the transition from work truck to manager. Please send any info you think will help. Thanks,

trailer photo.jpg
  7. yardman1

yardman1 LawnSite Senior Member

LA lawns, what part of Louisiana are you in?
  8. Bunton Guy

Bunton Guy LawnSite Bronze Member

Im the complete oposite...I can manage my employees pretty darn good and get the work done...I just cant get enough work in quick enough to keep everyone buisy. If I land this large account it will keep them plenty buisy.

LA LAWNS LawnSite Member

i am in Slidell...
    LA LAWNS:cool: