1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Your Sales Presentation

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by JimLewis, Jan 14, 2004.

1. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

I was wondering if any of you have a really extensive or extraordinary sales presentation when it comes to irrigation system installations. If so, I'd like to hear how you go about it and what you do to make yourself stand out from the competition.

Reason I am asking is that we are in a pretty competitive market for irrigation. Lots of irrigation contractors out there just throwing cheap systems in without any design or thought going into it for super cheap prices. It's been hard to compete with that and often I am the highest bidder or one of the highest. I've managed to differentiate our company in the past with a nice little presentation folder that highlights why we're different and includes a bid with more detail than most contractors give. That, plus lowering my desired price, has managed to land us a lot of jobs this last year. But I'm not installing them for the price I'd like to.

I'm trying to create a killer presentation that will be so effective that people will feel stupid not to choose our company after I leave. I am reading the book, " 21 secrets for irrigation contractors" by Robin Tulleners. It had some good ideas that I think I will begin to encorporate this year. Among the ideas I really liked were;

* Having a video tape showing highlights of your work, you and your crew at a job, highlighting the different aspects of a good system, etc.

* Having a "sales kit" that includes things like copy of your license, copy of insurances, contractor comparison checklist, client testimonials, bank and supplier references, pictures of your work, etc.

* Meet with each client in person when there is ample time to go over everything and discuss our company, ask questions to them about their goals, discuss them purchasing an irrigation plan (design), discuss budget, etc.

I was hoping that by incorporating things like this I could stand our company apart SOOO much from the competition that they'd feel stupid NOT to go with us, even though we may be more expensive. The goal is not just to look more organized that the other contractors but to totally blow away other contractors with a presentation that totally dwarfs the presentations (if any) they're getting from other contractors.

Anyone do this? Ideas? Tips?
  2. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

Ours is not nearly that compicated. Irrigation is a must here. No way around it. We do work for several large builders. They give the homeowner a landscaping allowance same as any other allowance for the new home. We do a landscape design and present it to the builder along with quote for the job. Irrigation is included in the quote. We hardly ever deal directly with the homeowner.
  3. rkbrown

rkbrown LawnSite Senior Member

I lived in Lubbock for a while where the average annual rainfall is about 18" and everyone had irrigation. I now live near Houston where the average annual rainfall is about 45". Irrigation is a luxury to many here.

Jim, I, too, have found myself as the highest bidder in many situations by putting in a quality, efficient system. I am underbid by both licensed and unlicensed irrigation contractors who blow water over sidewalks, mix bed and turf zones, and generally do a lousy job. I like you idea for a video and will have to get a copy of the book you mentioned.

Most subdivisions here have sidewalks with a strip of grass that runs between the sidewalk and the street. Many here will put rotors on those strips and have the water go over the sidewalk to get not only the strip, but the main front lawn, in effect, watering the sidewalk. I do not and will not join in this practice. While I was at an irrigation CEU course last week, I heard about a contractor that did this on a lawn. A neighborhood girl, age about 2-3, was riding her big wheel on the sidewalk at about 3 in the afternoon when the sprinklers came on. The jet out of the rotors was about the height of her eye while sitting on the big wheel. You can guess what happened...yes, she lost an eye. If that is not enough reason to "go by the book", I don't know what is !!