Your Suggestion Needed

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by Wrobel#1, Dec 21, 2005.

1. Wrobel#1

Wrobel#1 LawnSite Member

Do you think adding a dumpster service is a good idea to a landscaping business :confused:

2. TURF DOCTOR

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

If you have the time in peak season and the profit is there go for it.

3. John B Laidlaw

John B Laidlaw LawnSite Member

I believe you are comparing apples and oranges. But if you see a niche to fill in a profitable manner and it does not add any more to your overhead ( or headaches!) then try it. Knowing a little bit of NJ's landfill problems such as space and the competion with those that rely solely on this business to feed their family, I think you would do better concentrating on the Lco side. Do a business plan while you have time now. This will tell you all you need to know when you complete it in a honest manner. Good luck.

4. PTP

PTP LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

Landscaping is a good business. Dumpsters may also be a good business.

But if you try and chase both of those rabbits at once you will likely catch neither.

5. Wrobel#1

Wrobel#1 LawnSite Member

the only reason i'm interested in the garbage removal is it's more work during winter and i'm looking to purchase a new ford lcf for a few thousand more i can get the switch and go and use the truck to run my landscaping and run the garbage removal i only plan on having a maximum of 5 or so containers just looking to increase my profit on the truck

6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Yes, but isn't garbage removal a year-round type of affair ...?

Course, I suppose you could market towards 1-time removals...

7. Markf

Markf LawnSite Senior Member

Before you make the investment be very knowledgeable of hazardous waste EPA regulations. Are you responsible for some knucklehead hiding hazardous material in the middle of the dumpster where you cannot see it before you haul it away? There are some serious fines for this type of violation. Good Luck.
    Mark

8. Wrobel#1

Wrobel#1 LawnSite Member

thank for the info