Your Take On: GRASS

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 205mx, Feb 27, 2012.

1. 205mx

205mx LawnSite Silver Member

Which do you think looks better?
    Grows better, Faster, stronger. etc...

Pleas include the area you live in. It will be interesting to see who likes what.

Thanks y'all
    :drinkup:

2. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

centipede in the southeast. it's thick and full and chokes out any weeds as well as any other types of grass. :D

3. GMLC

GMLC LawnSite Platinum Member

This should be a great thread. KGB/Fescue mix in the north east. Gives you that deep green lawn!
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. grass-scapes

grass-scapes LawnSite Bronze Member

Imitation. Stays green year round. Needs no maintenance.

5. jbell36

jbell36 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from KANSAS

definitely fescue...bluegrass second...both look very similar but fescue is easier to take care of...we have some warm season grasses here but i think they look absolutely terrible...don't know much about centipede but i'm sure it's a warm season grass which just doesn't have that thick lush green look...also can't stripe warm season grasses very well

6. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

yeah centipede is a warm season grass and doesn't stripe at all. it's very thick and you cut it short here in the south. here's a pic of centipede.

[​IMG]

7. TNGrassCutter

TNGrassCutter LawnSite Bronze Member

A tall fescue lawn here in TN looks great to me, grows good and thick in spring and fall, and one of the only grasses that will stripe here. Bermuda grass looks good when its just Bermuda, I can't stand Bermuda with weeds in it, especially when its dormant.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

:laugh: that is the norm around where i live. very few yards that are 100% bermuda with no weeds. the bermuda does look good if it doesn't have weeds in it but weeds generally are in it unless it's treated on a regular basis which doesn't happen often where i live. alot of the bermuda yards have fescue and weeds in them as well. that's why i like centipede. it keeps it all looking the same with no weeds or other grasses getting mixed in. you don't even have to treat it either. :)

9. 205mx

205mx LawnSite Silver Member

ST. Augustine anybody?

10. I'm going to have to go with zoysia cut at 1.25 in or less with a reel. I live in south Florida. I'm sick of St Augustine, but i do like the Seville cultivar. It's tighter than floratam and can be cut a little shorter than floratam.
    Posted via Mobile Device